Help keep the site going

Sunday, 29 August 2010

M.V.AARO


M.V.AARO
Ship No 471

With world trade increasing and as part of a general upgrading of shipping line fleets, more orders were won from Ellerman Wilson.

The Motor Vessel AARO was the first of another three ship order from the line.

The M.V.AARO continued the tradition of fine looking ship’s built for Ellerman Lines.

She was just how a ship should look in the days before containerisation necessitated that most cargo vessels change to the boxed aft-island look.

At 2600 Grt, with a length B.P. of 300 feet with a beam of 48 feet and 6 inches, and a design draft of 19 feet and 9 inches she was launched into the Forth on 20th of January 1960 to herald in another decade at the Henry Robb shipyards.

MARABOU

Ship No 470


Was an order from the Crown Agents for the supply of a 310 ton twin screw grab dredger, with a length of 130 feet and a beam of 30 feet and 6 inches, she was launched on 13th of February 1959.

Ship No 469

Ramp ended Pontoon ordered by the Crown Agents.

Saturday, 28 August 2010

M.V.MACAULAY

Ship No 468


The third vessel of the three ship order from Chine shipping company,

The three ships were amongst the largest Leith built ships from the Henry Robb Shipyard. A large ship for the shipbuilders in Leith to build, meant some form of continuing employment and a full order book

meant that the men could look forward with some hope for the future of shipbuilding in Leith.

She was a single screw diesel cargo ship, with a gross tonnage of 4650 tons.

She was the sister ship of the M.V.THACKERY

She had a length B.P. of 345 feet and a beam of 54 feet, with a design draft of 29 feet.

GRAIGLEITH



CRAIGLEITH (from Ship-Photos)
Ship No 467


Was an order fro the Leith Dock Commission for a single screw diesel tug to be called GRAIGLEITH. She was named after an Island in the River Forth just off the coast from North Berwick in Scotland.

She was 175 tons with a length of 88 feet and a beam of 25 feet.

She was launched on 16th of May 1958.

She was to work the busy docks of Leith for many years and was present at the launch of many fine Leith built ships from the shipyard of Henry Robb.

She was eventually sold to Canada and renamed “BEAUFORT SPIRIT” and after a working life of 46 years she was broken up in 1984.

Another of the fine Leith built ships.

Ship No 466

Ship No 466

Was an order for a dredging pontoon of 80 tons, for the Crown Agents.

M.V.POOLTA


M.V.POOLTA

Ship No 465


Last of the ships built for the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, the end of an era really.

She was 2200 tons with a length B.P. of 250 feet and a beam of 43 feet with design draft of 17 feet and 6 inches.

She was the last of the Leith Built Ships for the Union Steamship Company of N.Z. Launched on 13th of May 1959.

Sister ship to Pateena and slightly smaller than Kaitoa built by the leith shipbuilders 2 years earlier. Both ships were redundant a few years after arrival because of the increased use of ro ro ship however Poolta was lengthened by 18 metres in 1968 and converted to unit load and container carrier. This photo was taken after conversion.

Union Steamship Company of New Zealand Flag.

Monday, 23 August 2010

M.V.PATEENA

M.V.PATEENA
Ship No 464


The motor vessel PATEENA was another fine vessel ordered by the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand,

She was 2200 GRT, with a length between perpendiculars of 250 feet and a beam of 43 feet, with a design draught of 17 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched on 7th of November 1958

Sold after 17 years service in New Zealand and broken up 8 years later.

Sunday, 22 August 2010

M.V.CATANIAN

M.V.CATANIAN

Ship No 463


She was the sister ship to the M.V.MALATIAN the motor vessel CATANIAN was a single screw diesel cargo vessel, the same size as her sister with a GRT of 1420 tons and a length B.P. of 250 feet, and beam of 42 feet and 6 inches. Named after a part of Sicily as was the tradition of Ellerman Wilson Lines at the time, she was another fine looking vessel.

She was launched from the shipyard on 28th of August 1958.

M.V.MALATIAN

 
 
 
M.V.MALATIAN
Ship No 462


Was another fine looking vessel built by the shipbuilders of Leith for the Ellerman Wilson Line.

She was used on routes to Portugal and she was more of a short sea trader, with her Island Aft.

She was a single screw diesel cargo vessel of 1420 tons and with a length B.P. of 250 feet, she was 42 feet and 6 inches across her beam.

She was launched from the shipyard on 17th of April 1958.

Get Great Deals at Expedia!

M.V.KOONYA




Ship No 461


This fine vessel from the shipbuilders in Leith was another order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.

The motor vessel KOONYA was a single screw diesel cargo ship of 1946 tons, with a length B.P. of 235 feet with a beam of 45 feet.

She was launched from the shipyard on 16th of October 1957.


Find a lower price and we will beat it!

Saturday, 21 August 2010

H.M.S.TYPHOON

  Download an eBook today
 
 
H.M.S.TYPHOON
Ship No 460


When the admiralty needed another big and powerful seagoing tug there was only one place to go for this vessel and it was to Leith that an order was placed for HMS TYPHOON with the shipbuilders who had built so many of the powerful “Bustler Class” tugs during World War II

She was an ocean going salvage and rescue tug tons with a length B.P. of 180 feet and a beam of 38 feet and 6 inches.

She was to spend a lot of her time in the South Atlantic waters around the Falkland Islands.


The Royal Navy and Falklands War

M.V.THACKERAY

Ship No 459


Second vessel of the three ship order from Chine shipping company,

The three ships were amongst the largest Leith built ships from the Henry Robb Shipyard. A large ship for the shipbuilders in Leith to build, meant some form of continues employment and a full order book meant that the men could look forward with some hope for the future of shipbuilding in Leith.

She was a single screw diesel cargo ship, with a gross tonnage of 4650 tons.

She had a length B.P. of 345 feet and a beam of 54 feet, with a design draught of 29 feet.

M.V.THACKERAY was launched from Leith on 12th February 1958.

Friday, 20 August 2010

M.V.SANDPIPER

 
 
 
 
M.V.SANDPIPER

Ship No 458


The motor vessel SANDPIPER was an order from the General steam Navigation Company Ltd, for a modern single screw diesel cargo coaster.

She was 916 grt, with a B.P. of 215 feet and a beam of 36 feet and 6 inches, with a design draught of 20 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched into the River Forth on 1st of May 1957.
For all your maritime book requirements please visit Ships and the Sea

Tuesday, 17 August 2010

M.V.KONINI

M.V.KONINI (At her trials in the River Forth)
Ship No 457


The second vessel ordered by the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, built alongside the M.V.KUMALLA

She was 2007 GRT, with a length B.P. of 250 feet with a beam of 41 feet and 6 inches, and a design draught of 25 feet and 3 inches.

She was similar in size to Navua and Kaimai and was used on the East Coast coastal service. On the introduction of ro-ro ships she and her sisters became redundant and she was sold to Singapore interests in 1971.


Find a lower price and we will beat it!

Sunday, 15 August 2010

M.V.KUMALLA

M.V.KUMALLA
Ship No 456


Was another small coaster for work in the New Zealand coastal trade, ordered by the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, she was 1,865 tons. With a LBP of 235 feet and a beam of 45 feet. She was a single screw cargo vessel built by Robb at Leith as the Kumalla for the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand and registered at Melbourne Australia.

She was launched from the yard on 9th of November 1956 and she worked the New Zealand coast until being sold in August 1972 to Hetherington Kingsbury and renamed Cobargo and given Sydney registry. Sold, renamed Jihad in 1978 and sold again in 1979 to South Sea Freighters Ltd of Port Vila (Willam M & Keith M.Trueman) who renamed her Bismarck Sea. Was active out of Singapore 1981 and sold on a few times more before being scrapped in 1986.

Flight + Hotel = SAVE

ANNAHDA

Ship No 455


Was an order from the Crown Agents for a single screw diesel grab dredger, one of the types of vessel that Henry Robb shipyard specialised they were quite complicated to build. They were built to do a specific job and had to be reliable and well built for the punishment they took from dredging.

She was 281 grt, with a length B.P. of 110 feet and a beam of 29 feet with design draught of 10 feet and 6 inches. She was launched on 27th of March 1956.

Ship No’s 451 to 454

The numbers allocated to Ship’s 451 to 454 was an order from Beira boating Company for another four dumb barges all of the same size and weight at 105 tons each and with a length of 75 feet and a beam of 20 feet.

LAKE LOTHING

Ship No 450




Was A SINGLE SCREW DIESEL GRAB DREDGER OF 659 TONS ordered by the Docks & Inland Waterways Board.

She was 156 feet length B.P. with a beam of 34 feet and a design draught of 17 feet.

She was launched from the yard on the 5th of April 1955.

Saturday, 14 August 2010

M.V.TENNYSON

 
 
 
 
M.V.TENNYSON
Ship No 449


The Motor Vessel TENNYSON was part of a three ship order for the Chine Shipping Company.

The three ships were amongst the largest ships built at Henry Robb Shipyard.

She was a single screw diesel cargo ship, with a gross tonnage of 3894 tons.

She had a length B.P. of 335 feet and a beam of 50 feet, with a design draught of 26 feet and 6 inches.

M.V.TENNYSON was launched from Leith on 20th November 1956.

Wednesday, 11 August 2010

M.V.KAIMAI




Ship No 448


A single screw diesel powered cargo ship ordered by the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand. With a gross tonnage of 2007 tons, she was another vessel to ply her trade around the waters of New Zealand.

She had a length B.P. of 250 feet, with a beam of 41 feet and 6 inches and a design draught of 25 feet and 6 inches.


Find a lower price and we will beat it!

GANNET

Ship No 447


Was an order from the Crown Agents for a diesel grab dredger with a length of 95 feet and a beam of 25 feet.

Sunday, 8 August 2010

FRANK JAMIESON

FRANK JAMIESON
(Pic from Ribble Group) 
Ship No 446


FRANK JAMIESON was the second of the two ship order from the Preston Dock commission, being a sister ship to JOHN HERBERT, at the same size and weight of 146 tons, with a length of 86 feet and a beam of 23 feet, she had a design draught of 12 feet.

She served in the Preston docks until 1981 when she was sold to Barrow in Furness interests. Named after a Mayor of Preston, she was launched on the 10th of August 1956.

Saturday, 7 August 2010

M.V.FLAMINIAN

M.V.FLAMINIAN
Ship No 445


The M.V.FLAMINIAN was another fine vessel ordered by the Ellerman Wilson Line, (Papayanni Line)part of the re-building plans of the company to replace vessels lost during World War II.

She was diesel powered and was built and designed for work in the Mediterranean shipping trade. She moved a lot of Jaffa oranges from Israel to the U.K.

The M.V.FLAMINIAN With her clean lines and classic look she was at 3100 tons a fair sized cargo vessel for her time.

She was 325 feet in length with a beam of 50 feet and a design draught of 33 feet and 9 inches.

She was launched on 9th February 1956. More at the website.

M.V.FLAMINIAN

JOHN HERBERT

JOHN HERBERT
Ship No 444


The JOHN HERBERT was a twin screw diesel tug.

She was ordered by the Preston Dock Commission, for work at the then busy port.

She was one of a two ship order at 146 tons, with a length of 86 feet and a beam of 23 feet with a design draught of 12 feet.

She served in the Preston docks until 1976 when she was sold to Liechtenstein interests. Named after a member of the local council, she was launched in 1955.

Friday, 6 August 2010

M.V.KAITOA

 
 
 
M.V.KAITOA
Being launched at Henry Robb shipyard
(Photo from Edinburgh Evening News)
Ship No 443


M.V.KAITOA was another order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.

Built for the general purpose coastal service. Kaitoa was the first ship in 1960 to change from the black hull, buff superstructure of Union cargo ships to green hull and white superstructure which up until that time was reserved for passenger ships.

She was a twin screw diesel cargo ship of 2583 grt, with a length between perpindiculars of 250 feet and a moulded beam of 43 feet and design draught of 27 feet.

She was launched from the Leith yard on 10th of May 1956.


KAITOA underway.
 
  Find a lower price and we will beat it!
 

M.V.NAVUA

M.V.NAVUA
Ship No 442


Was an order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, for trade around the stormy waters of New Zealand. Part of a two ship order.

The M.V.NAVUA was a single screw diesel cargo ship.

She had a length B.P. of 250 feet with a beam (Mld) of 41 feet and 6 inches and a design draught of 25 feet and 3 inches.

This 1952 grt ship was launched on 27th of May 1955.


Find a lower price and we will beat it!

SAMUAL ARMSTRONG

SAMUEL ARMSTRONG
Ship No 441


Was a single screw grab dredger ordered by the Ipswich Dock Commission.

She was 364 tons with a length B.P. of 128 feet and a moulded breadth of 28 feet and 6 inches, with a design draught of 12 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched on 8th of March 1956.

Wednesday, 4 August 2010

M.V. ZEALAND

M.V.ZEALAND
Ship No 440


Was an order from the local, well known shipping line, Currie Line Ltd of Leith.

The M.V.ZEALAND was a modern diesel driven cargo/passenger ship built for trade between Leith, Hull and Hamburg and the Baltic ports.

She was 2300 tons with a length of 270 feet (L.B.P.) and a moulded breadth of 45 feet with design draught at 25 feet and 6 inches, she was launched from the Henry Robb shipyard on 10th of September 1954, in what was a very busy and profitable time for the Company.
M.V.ZEALAND Ship No 440

Sunday, 1 August 2010

S.S.TEANO

S.S.TEANO
Ship No 439


The S.S.TEANO was the third of the three ship order for Ellerman Wilson Line.

She was slightly smaller than CICERO and ROLLO but no less a fine looking ship.

With her distinctive lines she was 1580 tons of fine looking ship, at 260 feet between perp’s and with a beam of 43 feet, with a design draught at 24 feet, she was another well proportioned vessel. She was a classic looking ship in the days, long before the invention of containers and vessels to carry them in.

She was launched on 23rd of February 1955

You will be able to read a lot more about this and other ships built in Leith, when the new website is ready, so keep checking back.

S.S.ROLLO

S.S.ROLLO
Ship No 438


The steam ship ROLLO was the second of the three ship order to be built and launched from Leith.

part of another order from the Ellerman Wilson Line, this order was for three of the latest in steamer cargo/passenger type ships, and it must be said they were amongst the finest looking vessels to be launched from the Leith yard of Henry Robb.

With her distinctive lines she was 2499 tons of fine looking ship, at 290 feet between perp’s and with a beam of 48 feet and 6 inches, with design draught at 27 feet, she was a well proportioned vessel.

She was sister ship to CICERO and was launched from the Henry Robb shipyard on 12th of October 1954.



You will be able to read a lot more about this and other ships built in Leith, when the new website is ready, so keep checking back. And by the way the survey advert above does work that is why it is on the blog to help to pay for the upkeep of this Blog and the main website, so why not give it a try if you wish to make some extra cash.


S.S.ROLLO of the Ellerman Wilson Line,getting underway.(You can just see the smoke stack of her tug off her port bow)

what where



job title, keywords or company
city, state or zip jobs by job search