Being launched at Henry Robb shipyard
(Photo from Edinburgh Evening News)
Ship No 443
M.V.KAITOA was another order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.
Built for the general purpose coastal service. Kaitoa was the first ship in 1960 to change from the black hull, buff superstructure of Union cargo ships to green hull and white superstructure which up until that time was reserved for passenger ships.
She was a twin screw diesel cargo ship of 2583 grt, with a length between perpindiculars of 250 feet and a moulded beam of 43 feet and design draught of 27 feet.
She was launched from the Leith yard on 10th of May 1956.