Sunday 23 May 2010

H.M.S. Hickory

Ship No 300

Was an order for an Armed Trawler of the Tree Class, to also undertake minesweeping duty.


She was the sister ship of H.M.S. Hazel, with a length overall of 150 feet, and a beam of 27 feet and 6 inches, with the same draught at 14 feet and 6 inches. With a crew compliment of around 35.

Launched from the yard on 24th February 1940, She had a short service life, as she was unfortunately sunk by a mine in the English Channel on 21st October 1940.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandad was on this ship, he was one of the lucky ones. Just found a picture of the ship which has lead me to do a little research.

Bill Walford said...

My Uncle Reg, my mum's brother, was one of the lost souls. Surname Longhurst.

Anonymous said...

My great uncle, Alfred Howe was lost aboard this ship, Berry Head in the English Channel October 22nd 1940 aged 24.