Ship No 353
With the end of World War 2 companies needed to rebuild and for shipping companies that meant replacing war losses. For this the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand turned to their trusted shipbuilder in Scotland.
Was the first of a two ship order from an old customer of the shipyard, The Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.
She was a standard “B” type single screw diesel cargo, coaster, She was 942 gross and 1,280 deadweight tons powered by a Bermeister & Wain diesel engine. Length overall of 210 feet with a beam of 36 feet and 6 inches, she was launched from the yard on 23/10/1945.
Originally ordered by the British Admiralty for SE Asia as a supply ship but taken over by Union Steamship Company in 1945. She was to be used on the Gisborne, Napier, Wellington, Lyttelton, Timaru, Oamaru and Dunedin service. After great service to the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand she was sold 1967 to Singapore interests.