Wednesday 14 October 2015

SA WOLRAAD WOLTEMADE

We could not resist showing this great photograph taken by D. Shackleton and sent into the Leith Shipyards website by L. Pollard.
 Same photographer took the almost identical shot of her sister ship the SA JOHN ROSS which had been built at a local South African shipyard and was launched a bit after the Leith built SA WOLRAAD WOLTEMADE which just looked right.


SA WOLRAAD WOLTEMADE Z-TUG

SA JOHN ROSS Z-TUG
They show the two mighty ships arriving at Cape Town for the first time ready to go about there work.

Don’t know about you but I know which ship looks the better and leave you to choose your own preferred picture.



3 comments:

Jose said...

Of the most beautiful tugboats in the world,I remember the arrival of the "John Ross"to the port of Santander,in Spain,the press published the news as the arrival of the largest and most powerful tugboat in the world,26.200 hp,I don´t exactly remember the year,but it was the early 80´s,,Beautyful the images!!!...

Anonymous said...

I worked on the ship doing the fitting out of the interiors after her launched which I also witnessed. I can confirm it was built in the 70s and not the 80s.

Jose said...

Are you referring to my comment about the John Ross?,yes,the tugboat was built in the 70s,it was in the early 80s when I had the opportunity to see it,best regards!...