Help keep the site going

Monday, 27 September 2010

SALMO

M.V.SALMO (Ellerman Wilson Line)
Ship No 496


The motor vessel SALMO was the second ship in what was to prove to be the largest single order for ships that Henry Robb shipbuilders were ever to secure.

As part of the order which was to keep the men in the Leith yard in full employment during what proved to be boom times for the shipyard owners.

The M.V.SALMO was a single screw diesel cargo ship of 1559 grt, with a length between perpendiculars of 280 feet and a beam of 45 feet and 6 inches, with a design draught of 26 feet. Sister ship to the SALERNO

She was launched into the River Forth on 12th of December 1966.

She was to work on the Scandinavian line from Hull to Stockholm.

Transferred to Ellerman Lines in 1973 and renamed City of Athens.



Sunday, 26 September 2010

SALERNO

M.V.SALERNO (Ellerman Wilson Line)
Ship No 495


The motor vessel SALERNO was the first ship in what was to prove to be the largest single order for ships that Henry Robb shipbuilders were ever to secure.

The order from their good customer Ellerman Wilson Line was for a total of 7 (seven) ships, with the SALERNO the first of them.

5 of the ships were to be “S” class ships and they were all to have there name beginning with the letter “S”.

Some knowledgeable sailors who sailed on the new Ellerman Wilson ships do say that they were not as good as the previous classic looking vessels launched from the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb Shipbuilders in Scotland. (Such is progress)

The M.V.SALERNO was a single screw diesel cargo ship of 1559 grt, with a length between perpendiculars of 280 feet and a beam of 45 feet and 6 inches, with a design draught of 26 feet.

She was launched into the River Forth on 24th of November 1965.

GEORGE OHIKERE

Ship No 494


The GEORGE OHIKERE was the second of the twin screw diesel tugs ordered by the Nigerian Ports Authority.

Sister ship of the ABDUL MALIKI .

She was 154 gross tons and with a length between perp’s of 85 feet and a beam of 24 feet and 3 inches.

She had a design draught of 12 feet and was launched from the Leith Shipyard on 19th of March 1965.

TRIBENI

Ship No 493


TRIBENI was a classic looking survey ship, not unlike some of today’s large super yachts.

She was an order from Commissioners for Port of Calcutta, for a twin screw survey vessel.

She was 918 grt, with a length B.P. of 175 feet, and a beam of 35 feet along with a design draught at 17 feet.

She was launched from the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb shipbuilders on the 30th of June 1965.

We will have a full feature on this great looking vessel on the new website, to be online very soon.

ASTRO

Ship No 492


Astro was another river & estuary tanker ordered from the Union Lighterage Co Ltd, a little bit larger than her sister ship “UNO

She had a length B.P. of 162 feet and 6 inches, with a beam of 33 feet and a shallow draught of only 10 feet and 6 inches, she was used for operations in coastal waters, and rivers.

She was launched from the Leith Shipyards, on 28th of November 1964.

Saturday, 25 September 2010

ABDUL MALIKI

Ship No 491


The ABDUL MALIKI was another in the long line of tugs built in the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb.

She was one of a two ship order from the Nigerian Ports Authority.

The ABDUL MALIKI was a twin screw diesel powered tug.

She was 154 gross tons and with a length between perp’s of 85 feet and a beam of 24 feet and 3 inches.

She had a design draught of 12 feet and was launched from the yard on 4th of February 1965.

L.D.C. NO 8

Ship No 490


This was an order from the Leith Dock Commission for a dumb rock tipping barge to work on the construction of the Western Harbour breakwater and dock gates which, was constructed to make the expanded docks non-tidal.

This barge was given the work order number next allocated, hence it became Ship No 490.

L.D.C. NO 7

Ship No 489


This was an order from the Leith Dock Commission for a dumb rock tipping barge to work on the construction of the Western Harbour breakwater and dock gates which, was constructed to make the expanded docks non-tidal.

This barge was given the work order number next allocated, hence it became Ship No 489.

Friday, 24 September 2010

LIGAR BAY

DEV LIGAR BAY
(photo by Vic Young, passing Wellington Heads)
Ship No 488


LIGAR BAY was the third of such vessels built by Henry Robb, she was another bulk cement carrier ordered by Tarakohe shipping Co Ltd, of New Zealand.



She was a twin screw diesel electric bulk carrier, a little bit smaller then the John Wilson built previously at 1330 tons, she had a length between perpendiculars of 210 feet with a beam of 38 feet and a design draught of 16 feet.



She was launched from Leith Shipyards on 10th of October 1964.



Although a fine looking ship, she was as you will see from the following short extract from a story by her ex-2nd engineer Tony Skilton a bit of a handful in heavy sea conditions and she did have a few design faults.

The Vessel was driven by twin totally-enclosed propulsion motors, but had only a single rudder, so steered like an absolute pig (from personal experience!). The distance from Wellington to Tarakohe is 120 n miles, but the log always showed 130+ miles because of the wandering about.



Due to it’s short funnel, main engine exhaust fumes were frequently in the accommodation when the winds were from the wrong direction. I can recall being sick a lot on the ship because of the fumes.

When in ballast, this ship usually developed a vicious roll in beam seas. So bad that one night off Karori Light, the snap roll back the other way broke off the top 8 feet of the mast. The missing part was replaced at the next dry docking, but when again snapped off, we didn’t bother replacing it.
The engine room and control flat layout was very well done – everything always seemed to be found in a ‘logical’ location. Except for those bloody V4 Paxman generators! Somebody should have ripped them out very early in the piece.


 
You can read a lot more of Tony’s adventures on the New Zealand Bulk Cement Carriers on the new website to be released soon.


Monday, 20 September 2010

KILLINGHOLME

M.V.KILLINGHOLME
Ship No 487


Killingholme was the second ship in the two ship order from the Shell Mex & B.P. Co Ltd, for a single screw coastal tanker, she was the same size as her sister ship “Hamble” at 1182 tons, with a length B.P. of 202 feet, with beam of 36 feet and 11 inches and a draught of 15 feet and 6 inches.


She was launched from the Leith Shipyards on 30th of July 1964.


Killinghome” had a couple of name changes as well, with the last known name being “Nigerian Star”

Thursday, 16 September 2010

HAMBLE

HAMBLE
Ship No 486


Hamble was an order from Shell Mex & B.P.Co Ltd, being the first ship of a two ship order for the company.

She was a single screw coastal tanker of 1182 tons, with a length between perpendiculars of 202 feet, with a beam of 36 feet and 11 inches, and a design draught of 15 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched on 29th of April 1964 from the Leith Shipyards.

Hamble was to be lengthened and deepened in 1982, in Canada and has had a few names since with her last known name being Marine Supplier.

GRAB DREDGER NO1

Ship No 485


Was an order for the Commissioners for Port of Calcutta. The order was for a Grab Hopper Dredger imaginatively called No 1.

She was 1309 tons, with a length between perpendiculars of 210 feet, with a beam of 45 feet, and a design draught of 17 feet and 9 inches, so she was a fair sized vessel.

She was launched on 13th of December 1963.

UNO

Ship No 484


The “Uno” was an order from the Union Lighterage Co Ltd for a River & Estuary tanker of 530 tons.
One of a two ship order from the company.

She had a length B.P. of 162 feet and 6 inches, with a beam of 33 feet and a shallow draught of only 10 feet and 6 inches, she was used for operations in coastal waters, and rivers.

She was launched from the Leith Shipyards, on 14th of December 1962.

Monday, 13 September 2010

RFA.BACCHUS

RFA BACCHUS
Ship No 483


RFA Bacchus was an order from British India Steam Navigation Co Ltd. She was to be part of a two ship order, being the sister ship to “Hebe” and they were amongst the largest ships built in the Leith Shipyards.

At 4823 Grt (5218 dwt) and with a length between perpendiculars of 350 feet and a beam of 55 feet, along with a design draught of 31 feet.

She was launched on 4th of June 1962. She was handed back to her owners on 8th November 1962.

She was chartered on a long term bare boat charter by the Ministry of Defence (MOD).


Ready For Anything Ready For Anything
Set up in August 1905, the Royal Fleet Auxiliary - unofficial motto: Ready for Anything - was originally a logistic support organisation, Admiralty-owned but run on civilian lines, comprising a miscellaneous and very unglamorous collection of colliers, store ships and harbour craft. This book charts its rise in fleet strength, capability and importance, through two world wars and a technical revolution, until the time when naval operations became simply impossible without it. Its earliest tasks were mainly freighting - supplying the Royal Navy’s worldwide network of bases - but in wartime fleets were required to spend much longer at sea and the RFA had to develop techniques of underway replenishment. This did not come to full fruition until the British Pacific Fleet operated alongside the Americans in 1944-45, but by then the RFA had already pioneered many of the procedures involved.This book combines a history of the service, including many little-known wartime operations, with data on the ships, and a portrait of life in the service gleaned from personal accounts and recollections. Half way between a civilian and a military service, the RFA has never received the attention it deserves, but this book throws a long-overdue spotlight on its achievements.



Bacchus was to serve the MOD (Royal Fleet Auxiliary) for the full nineteen years of her charter and was handed back to her owners in 1981.

She continued working for another six years under new ownership before being sold for scrap in 1986.

Sunday, 12 September 2010

RFA.HEBE

HEBE
Ship No 482


In Greek mythology, Hebe is the goddess of youth (Roman equivalent: Juventas). She is the daughter of Zeus and Hera.

RFA Hebe was an order from British India Steam Navigation Co Ltd. She was to be part of a two ship order, and they were amongst the largest ships built in the Leith Shipyards.

At 4823 Grt (5218 dwt) and with a length between perpendiculars of 350 feet and a beam of 55 feet, along with a design draught of 31 feet.

Her keel was laid on 18th of April 1961 and she was launched on 7th of March 1962.

She was chartered on a long term bare boat charter by the Ministry of Defence (MOD)


Fourth Force


She was to suffer a bad fire dockside in Gibraltar in 1978 when a crew member lost his life, due to the damage sustained she was handed back to her owners, where she was to continue under a few other names before being broken up in 1987.
You will be able to read a lot more about this fine vessel on the new website soon.

TORO

Ship No 481


This order was from the Union Lighterage Co Ltd

for a River & Estuary Tanker of 512 Grt.

She had a length between perp’s of 162 feet and 6 inches with a beam of 33 feet and a design draught of 10 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched on 9th of October 1961 into the River Forth.

Ship No’s 479 and 480

Ship No’s 479 and 480


Was an order from Leith Dock’s commission for two rock tipping barges.

Friday, 10 September 2010

M.V.JOHN WILSON

M.V.JOHN WILSON
(Photo courtesy of Tony Skilton)
Ship No 478


M.V. John Wilson

"John Wilson" Official No. 315702. Built for Wilson's Portland Cement, of Whangarei, NZ. This company was owned by Golden Bay Cement, so, in 1974, "The John" became part of the Wellington-based fleet. Scrapped 1985.

She was the second Bulk Cement Carrier ordered for New Zealand, and she was marginally larger at 1679 Grt than the first one the  M.V. Golden Bay

She had a length between perpendiculars of 246 feet with a beam of 42 feet and a design draught of 18 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched from the Leith Shipyards on 15th of April 1961

The John Wilson and her engines from Tony Skilton ex-chief engineer..

Regarding the John Wilson - she had unusual engines - most engineers I talk to have never heard of them. She had 3 x 5 cylinder Bellis & Morcombe diesel generating sets (used during WWII for powering searchlights I believe, but were first developed as bloody steam engines! And they looked it too!), and was single screw, with the propulsion motor being a double-wound set of windings all in the one motor casing (effectively, she had two propulsion motors, one behind the other, but on the same shaft). She was a very well-built and comfortable ship - definitely the most gentle in a seaway of all the cement ships I have sailed on.

There will be a lot more about the John Wilson and the men who sailed on her, on the new website, going online soon.

COSRAY 24

Ship No 477


This was an order for a second Tipping Rock Barge, of 573 tons with a length of 185 feet and a beam of 50 feet.

she was launched from the Leith shipyards on 28th April 1960.

COSRAY 23

Ship No 476


This was an order for a Tipping Rock Barge, of 573 tons with a length of 185 feet and a beam of 50 feet.

She was launched from the Leith shipyards on 15th April 1960.

Monday, 6 September 2010

CHARLES HEARN

CHARLES HEARN
Ship No 475


Was a twin screw diesel tug ordered by the Preston Dock Commission, she was 139 Grt. Another in the long list of tugs built in Leith shipyards.

She had a length B.P. of 83 feet and a beam of 23 feet, with a design draught of 12 feet.

She was to work in the port of Preston for many years before being sold on to Howard Marine, the picture is from her former Master Alan J. Hughes, when she was renamed Kinghow. (seen above in Howard Marine colours).

CRESWELL

Ship No 474


She was a single screw Grab Dredger ordered by the Blyth Harbour Board. At 290 Grt, she had a length B.P. of 128 feet and 6 inches, with a beam of 28 feet and 6 inches and a design draft of 12 feet.

She was launched from the Victoria yards of Henry Robb on 16th of June 1959.

Saturday, 4 September 2010

M.V.ARCADIAN

M.V.ARCADIAN
Ship No 473


The Motor Vessel ARCADIAN was another beautiful looking vessel ordered by the Ellerman Wilson Line.

She was a single screw diesel cargo vessel, sister ship to RAPALLO at 3400 Grt, she was 340 feet between perpendiculars and had a beam of 54 feet and a design draft of 31 feet, they were large ships for the yard to build. And they looked just how a ship should look.

ARCADIAN was launched from the yard on 27th of July 1960

She was to prove to be another great favourite of many of the sailors who worked on her.

There will be a lot more about the fine Ellerman Wilson line Leith built ships on the new website to be released soon.

Wednesday, 1 September 2010

M.V.RAPALLO

M.V.RAPALLO
Ship No 472


The Motor Vessel RAPALLO was the second in the three ship order from the Ellerman Wilson Line, a larger ship than AARO and another beautiful looking ship.

She was a single screw diesel cargo vessel, larger than the M.V.AARO at 3400 Grt, she was 340 feet between perpendiculars and had a beam of 54 feet and a design draft of 31 feet, they were large ships for the yard to build.

M.V.RAPALLO was launched from the yard on 26th of April 1960

Portofino, Rapallo & Italy's Riviera di Levante She was to prove to be a great favourite of many of the sailors who worked on her.

She was to go on to give great service to the Ellerman Wilson line used on the North Atlantic to Canada and the U.S.A. amongst many voyages, one of which you will soon be able to read about on the great new website, which is coming soon.