Ship No 515
Was an order from the Scottish Transport Group as it was called at the time, prior to reverting to Cal-Mac, for a vehicle and passenger ferry for work on the Scottish West coast routes to the outlying islands, the motor vessel PIONEER was a very popular ship on the routes which she was used.
The 1071 grt ferry was used on most of the Scottish Isle routes at some point or other, before being sold to West African interests in the early 1990’s. PIONEER under her new name is managed by a Gibraltar company.
She had a length between perpendiculars of 61 metres, with a beam of 13.42 metres and a design draught of 4 metres.
She was launched from the Leith Shipyards of Robb Caledon on 7th of August 1974.