Ship No 341
Twin screw “River Class” Frigate.
She was Laid down 18 Nov 1942
Launched 16 Aug 1943
Commissioned 9 Feb 1944
H.M.S. WYE was scrapped 22 February 1955.
The 'Flower' class Corvettes were not fast enough or big enough for the North Atlantic, so, in 1940 the Admiralty decided on speedier and larger vessels.
Orders for these vessels, first referred to as 'Twin Screw Corvettes' were quickly placed with various yards around the U.K. They were to be known as 'River' class Frigates.
“River Class" Frigate.
This class was developed to have the same capabilities as the pre WW11 "Black Swan" class. However, they were much simpler, cheaper and easier to build with "Reciprocating" rather than "Steam Turbine" power plants. They were designed to be 50ft. longer, at 300ft., than the contemporary "Castle Class", and so the task of building them could not be carried out in many smaller "Civilian" yards.
Designed as an improved Flower Class Corvette the River Class were highly successful Convoy Escorts with long range, heavy depth charge load and good sea keeping. Built in both Canada and Britain they became the mainstay of the Atlantic Escorts in the latter stages of the war.
They were however amongst the first vessels to be built part welded and riveted, which meant that units could be built around the country and delivered to the shipyard for building. A method pioneered by the British yards, and indeed the way ships are still built to this day.
The design was also used as the basis of the USN "Tacoma class", known to the RN as the "Colony Class". The hull design was later elaborated into the "Loch and Bay Class" Frigates