Ship No 335
“Bustler Class” Rescue Tug.
Was a further order for the supply of Four more, Ocean Going Diesel salvage tugs, all of the “Bustler Class” With Mediator being the fifth of the class built by Henry Robb in Leith.
They were required to carry out salvage and rescue work along with convoy escort duties.
They were large and very powerful tugs put to good use during World War II and for long after as well. A fleet of the “Bustler class tugs along with others were stationed in Campbeltown on the Scottish coast during the long “Battle of the Atlantic”
Nicknamed the “Campbeltown Navy” they were instrumental in saving many thousands of tons of shipping badly needed for the war effort against Hitler’s Germany and they also saved countless seamen from the ravages of the U-Boats.
She was 1,100 tons with a length overall of 190 feet and beam of 38 feet and six inches, with a draught of 19 feet.
Launched 21 Jun 1944
Commissioned 8 Nov 1944
DE-COMMISSIONED from the Royal Navy in 1965.
MEDIATOR was to spend most of her post war time in the Mediterranian and was eventually owned by Greek interests. She was Re-Named ATLAS.