“Bustler Class” Rescue Tug.
"Bustler Class Tug"
Was an order for the supply of Ocean Going Diesel salvage tugs, all of the “Bustler Class” With Hesperia being the fourth of the class built by Henry Robb in Leith.
They were required to carry out salvage and rescue work along with convoy escort duties.
They were large and very powerful tugs put to good use during World War II and for long after as well. A fleet of the “Bustler class tugs along with others were stationed in Campbeltown on the Scottish coast during the long “Battle of the Atlantic”
Nicknamed the “Campbeltown Navy” they were instrumental in saving many thousands of tons of shipping badly needed for the war effort against Hitler’s Germany and they also saved countless seamen from the ravages of the U-Boats.
She was 1,100 tons with a length overall of 190 feet and beam of 38 feet and six inches, with a draught of 19 feet.
Laid down 25 Mar 1942
Launched 10 Nov 1942
Commissioned 21 May 1943
Hesperia was lost off the coast of Libya during a fierce storm while working on towing a large load, on 9th of February 1945..