Ship No 343
Twin screw “Castle Class” Corvette.
H.M.S. Flint Castle was the first of the “Castle Class” Corvettes to be built at the Leith yard.
She was 1,370 tons and some thirty five feet longer than her predecessor the “Flower Class” with a length of 225 feet and a beam of 36 feet and 6 inches, to improve sea-keeping.
She was laid down on 20th April 1943 and Launched on 1st of September 1943 (4 months build time)
After sea trials she was commissioned into the Royal Navy on 31st December 1943.
H.M.S. FLINT CASTLE
Here showing her sea-keeping ability, surfing the rollers of the North Atlantic Ocean.
Photo was taken from H.M.S. Rushen Castle by Lt McMullan.
She was assigned to the Clyde Escort Force for the rest of the war, and had thirteen years continuous service with the Royal Navy before being broken up in 1958.
Castle Class Corvette
Designed as an improved Flower Class Corvette with a strengthened bow to mount the Squid Anti Submarine Mortar and longer to accommodate the sonar’s and improve sea keeping. They were fine looking ships.
However the Castle used the same power plant as the Flower and being larger she was hopelessly under powered. Helmsmen found it difficult to hold the ship in heavy seas and at low revs they lacked manoeuvring ability, crucial for the Squid which could not be aimed, the ship had to turn onto the target.
Despite the design difficulties their crew’s stuck to the job and were very successful in the battle of the Atlantic and they also fought in the bitter waters of the Artic Convoys to Russia.
These Castle Class Corvettes were a much improved vessel to the Flower class Corvettes The improved length designed by William Reed of Smith's Dock made these more suitable for Atlantic Weather conditions. With the Addition of Squid which improved its anti Submarine capabilities