Ship No 330
Twin screw “River Class” Frigate.
HMS Derg was a British River Class Frigate of 1590 tons displacement, with a length overall of 283 feet and a beam of 36 feet and 6 inches, she had a draught of 17 feet and 6 inches.
She was laid down on 16th April 1942, and launched from the yard on 7th January 1943. After successful sea trials she was commissioned into the Royal Navy on 10th June 1943.
HMS Derg was powered by two Admiralty 3-drum type boilers providing a top speed of 20 knots. She carried a complement of 140 and was armed with two 4-inch dual-purpose guns; ten 20 mm anti-aircraft guns and one Hedgehog multiple spigot mortar.
She was an escort to many convoys from the U.K. to South Africa.
In September 1945 Derg was part of the large armada of naval ships assembled at Tokyo Bay, where the official surrender of Japan was held onboard the American battleship USS Missouri.
In 1951 H.M.S. Derg was renamed Wessex and was used as an RNVR drill-ship, later she was to be re-named Cambria.
In September 1960, the she was broken up for scrap.
Her badge, with her original name can be seen painted on the side of the Selborne dry dock wall. In Simonstown, South Africa.