Ship No 321
“Bustler Class” Rescue Tug.
Was an order for the supply of Ocean Going Diesel salvage tugs, all of the “Bustler Class” With the first in class being the tug “H.M.S. BUSTLER”. Designed and built by the Henry Robb shipyard.
They were required to carry out salvage and rescue work along with convoy escort duties.
They were large and very powerful tugs put to good use during World War II and for long after as well.
She was 1,100 tons with a length overall of 190 feet and beam of 38 feet and six inches, with a draught of 19 feet.
She was launched 4th December 1941 and was to go on to have many wartime adventures. His Majesty’s Rescue Tug BUSTLER was used by the Royal Navy until being sold to a Yugoslav Company in 1973. She was still on Lloyd’s register in 1995.
An amazing, working life of more than 50 years. A real testament, to the shipbuilder’s expertise in the design and build of tugs, to ply the oceans of the world in peace and war.
“Bustler Class Rescue Tugs”, were to have a crew of 42 men, and powered by Diesel engines with a single screw, producing 4,000 hp. giving a top speed of 16 knots.
They had an armament of 1 x 3” AA Gun, 1 x 2 pounder AA. Along with 2 x 20 mm AA guns and 4 machine guns, all for anti-aircraft defence.