Tuesday 9 November 2010

Restoration of the SCOT II


The icebreaker tug SCOTT II, or what is left of her.
Happy to be able to tell you all that it now looks like Ship No 184 SCOT II built in the Henry Robb Leith Shipyards in 1931 and rusting away for a number of years in the West of Scotland, is now on the way to being restored to her former glory.

This is going to be a long project, and we shall bring you updates on the progress of the restoration as and when.

SCOT II begins her journey back home last week.
 
So for now just consider what she looks like as a rusty hull and look at what she will be restored as an icebreaker tug.
She is now tied up at the quayside on the Caledonian Canal after her tow north from the Isle of Bute. SCOT II was a very well known sight on the canal for many years.
 The SCOT II as she was cruising the waters of the Caledonian Canal.
You will be able to follow her restoration progress on the new website, online soon.

2 comments:

roger squires said...

I have a ruston 3ydz engine in my canal narrowboat.This engine no 460262. was built in 1960 and went to henry robbs of leith for the tug scott 11".I presume this is the same scott 2. the engine is still in good condition.

Unknown said...

Hi!
I was born in Invernes in 1947 an late in that year my mother and father and the family moved from Burnfoot house at Muirtown when my dad took up the job of middle district inspector at Fort Augustus. We moved into Malvern Cottage at the top lock. All our furniture came via Scot 11. As a boy growing up I knew the captain and engineer and often travelled west on her on icebreaking expeditions. In the early sixties the herring fisheries were very active and the main users of the canal were fishing boats going east and west. I left Fort Augustus in 1967 to follow a career with the Forestry Commission from which I have retired after 42.5 years service.I would be interested to know if she is still in service. She had a diesel engine when I remember her. I think that may ell have been put in around 1960

Bob Fraser