She was Called “Ulundi”
The Ulundi is the oldest surviving pilot tug in South Africa. Built by Henry Robb Ltd, Leith, she is 75ft 6 inches overall length with a beam of 18 ft. She was powered by a direct acting compound expansion engine and was in service from 1927. After being withdrawn she was earmarked for the fledgling Port Natal Maritime Museum. Placed on a cradle next on the quayside, she has had doors cut into the side of her hull. Ship No 78 is now a visitor attraction in Port Natal, South Africa.
Ship No 78
On the quayside at Port Natal South Africa, where she is now a visitor attraction.
The photogragh is copyright of D.Walker, who has a great site on Ships in South African waters at http://www.allatsea.co.za/
History of the name Ulundi.Ulundi is a town in the Zululand District Municipality. It was at one time the capital of Zululand in South Africa, and later the capital of the Bantustan of Kwazulu. It is now a part of KwaZulu-Natal Province and from 1994 to 2004 took turns at being the capital with Pietermaritzburg. There is an airport, a five-star hotel, and some museums. Estimated population: 11,102
When Cetshwayo became king of theZulus on 1 September 1873, he created, as was customary, a new capital for the nation and named it uluNdi (the high place). On 4 July 1879 the British army captured the royal kraal and razed it to the ground, in the Battle of ulundi - the final battle of the Anglo – Zulu War. Nearby is Ondini, the site of king Mpande’s's kraal, Cetshwayo's father. Mpande's kraal is a big Zulu hut.