|GOLDEN BAY departing Wellington, New Zealand|
(Photograph is courtesy of the Fletcher challenge Trust Archive)
The Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb were to build a total of three Cement Carriers for work in New Zealand and these highly specialised ships were a common sight around the caost of New Zealand for many years.
A fourth ship was also built for New Zealand although this ship was built at the Dundee yard of what was then know as Robb Caledon following the takeover of the old Dundee yard by Henry Robb shipbuilders in 1968
All were to work for the Golden Bay cement company which was eventually taken over by Fletcher Challenge
One of the ships engineers Tony Skilton who sailed on all four of the vessels has been helping the archivists at Fletcher Challenge Trust to identify some of the many photographs which have been uncovered and with the kind help of Dorothy there at the trust they have found many old photographs of the three vessels built at the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb
The original GOLDEN BAY Ship No 430 built and launched in 1953
The JOHN WILSON Ship No 478 built and launched in 1961 and
The Diesel Electric Vessel LIGAR BAY Ship No 488 built and launched in 1964
The Leith Shipyards website is pleased to be able to show the new photographs found and would like to thank Engineer Tony Skilton and the staff at the Fletcher Challenge Trust Archives (in particular Dorothy) for there time and help and of course for the permission to show them on the Leith Shipyards website.