Help keep the site going

Saturday, 31 July 2010

S.S.CICERO

 
 
 
S.S.CICERO
Ship No 437


The steam ship CICERO was part of another order from the Ellerman Wilson Line, this order was for three of the latest in steamer cargo/passenger type ships, and it must be said (In my humble opinion) they were amongst the finest looking vessels to be launched from the Leith yard of Henry Robb.

With her distinctive lines she was 2499 tons of fine looking ship, at 290 feet between perpendicular’s and with a beam of 48 feet and 6 inches, with design draught at 27 feet, she was a well proportioned vessel.

She was launched from the Henry Robb shipyard on 30th of June 1954.

You will be able to read a lot more about this and the other ships built in Leith, when the new website is ready, so keep checking back.

what where



job title, keywords or company
city, state or zip jobs by job search

Ship No’s 435 and 436

Was an order for two dumb barges for Sena Sugar Estates, both were 100 tons with a length overall of 87 feet and a beam of 17 feet and 6 inches.

AUBY

 
 
 
 
Sign from the old office building of the Sarawak Steamship Company.
Ship No 434


Was an order from the Sarawak Steamship Company Ltd, for a twin screw diesel cargo and passenger vessel.

Built to carry out trade around Borneo and from Sarawak to Singapore across the Straits, a journey that took around 70 hours, she was 1733 tons with a length of 212 feet and a beam of 44 feet with a design draught at 21 feet.


Get Great Deals at Expedia!

The AUBY was a very well known vessel in the waters around Sarawak and Singapore.

She was launched from the yard on the 24th of September 1953.


M.V.AUBY (Ship No 434)

Ship No’s 431 to 433

This was an order for three grab hopper dredgers, for the Priestman Bros Company.


No 431 was to be a riveted barge while the other two were of welded construction.

All three were 50 feet in length and had a beam of 12 feet.

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

M.V. GOLDEN BAY

M.V.GOLDEN BAY
Ship No 430


The motor vessel GOLDEN BAY was an order from New Zealand for the Golden Bay Cement Co of Wellington N.Z.

She was designed and built to carry bulk cement and as such she was the first of her design to carry out her work self-discharging her cement cargo in New Zealand waters.

With her twin screws driving her through all types of weather she plied her trade in New Zealand waters up until 1982. She was 1659 tons with a length of 230 feet and a beam of 42 feet along with a design draught of 18 feet.

She was launched from the Henry Robb shipyard on 27th of August 1953.

Another of the special ships built at the yard, the Golden Bay in fact required more power to run her discharging equipment than it took to power the vessel through the water.

(thanks to Tony Skilton ex-Chief Engineer M.V. Golden Bay for some of the above info.)


For all your maritime requirements in books please visit Ships and the Sea





Sunday, 25 July 2010

M.V. DUNNET HEAD

M.V.DUNNET HEAD
Ship No 429


A.F. Henry & Macgregor where a local Leith shipping Company who put an order to Henry Robb shipyard for two modern motor vessels the second being the motor vessel DUNNET HEAD.

A little bit smaller than her sister ship MARWICK HEAD with a length of 180 feet and a beam of 31 feet with a design draught of 15 feet she was launched from the yard on 18th of June 1953.

M.V. LONGFELLOW

M.V.LONGFELLOW
Ship No 428


The motor vessel LONGFELLOW was an order from the Rodney Steamship Company (part of the Chine Shipping Line)

The order was for a large modern single screw cargo vessel. At 335 feet in length with a beam of 50 feet and a design draught of 26 feet and 6 inches, she was launched on 26th of June 1953.

M.V. MARWICK HEAD

M.V.MARWICK HEAD
Ship No 427


A.F. Henry & Macgregor where a local Leith shipping Company who put an order to Henry Robb shipyard for two modern motor vessels the first being the motor vessel MARWICK HEAD.

At 1786 grt she was a state of the art modern single screw diesel cargo ship with a length of 250 feet between perpendiculars, with a moulded beam of 40 feet and a design draught of 22 feet and 6 inches. She was broken up in 1985.

Saturday, 24 July 2010

M.V. KARAMU




Ship No 426


Was an order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.

The M.V.KARUMA was a single screw diesel cargo vessel designed and built for the coastal trade of New Zealand. She was of standard type at 250 feet between perp’s with a beam of 41 feet and 6 inches and a design draught of 25 feet and 3 inches.

She was launched on the 4th of January 1952.


Find a lower price and we will beat it!

Ship No 425

Part of the same order from Richard Costain & Company, this vessel was a block carrying pontoon of 21 feet in length with a beam of 15 feet.


Launched from the shipyard on the 2nd of December 1952.

Ship No 424

Was a 15 ton crane pontoon ordered by Richard Costain and company.


The pontoon was 42 feet and 2 inches in length with a beam of 26 feet.

M.T.FARREN

Ship No 423


Was the second ship in the two ship order for two twin screw diesel tugs, from the Crown agents for the Colonies.

She was the sister ship of the tug FOURAH and she was the same size at 110 feet length between perpendiculars and a beam of 30 feet with design draught at 14 feet and 6 inches.

Her launch date to follow.

M.T.FOURAH

Ship No 422


The motor tug Fourah was ordered by the Crown agents for the Colonies, one of a 2 ship order for a twin screw diesel tug. She had a length of 110 feet and a beam of 30 feet and a design draught of 14 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched on 1st of September 1953

More details to follow.

Ship No’s 419 to 421

Was an order from the Beira Boating Company for the supply of three Cargo Lighters of 85 tons each.


They were all 75 feet in length with a beam of 20 feet.

Friday, 23 July 2010

M.V. WAREATEA

 
  Flight + Hotel = SAVE
 
M.V.WAREATEA
Ship No 418


The M.V.WAREATEA was an order from William Hollyman and Sons Pty Ltd of Australia. She was 1430 gross tons. 1465 dwt. and had a length between perpendiculars of 240 feet, with a beam of 37 feet, with a design draught of 20 feet. She was a single screw cargo vessel (refrigerated) powered by an 8 cylinder 2scsa oil engine by British Polar Engines Ltd of Glasgow. She was used on the Adelaide to Hobart run for 20 years before being sold to Singapore interests.

She was launched from the yard on the 9th of May 1952 and was deleted from Lloyds Registry in 1992


Tuesday, 20 July 2010

M.T.ARUSHA

M.T.ARUSHA - renamed ST MAWES at work shepherding the great Liner ORIANA out to sea.
Ship No 417


Continuing on with the fine tradition of building the work horses of the shipping world ARUSHA was an order from the British India Steam Navigation Company Ltd, for a single screw steam tug.

She was to be used by the company in the East African port of Mombasa.

At 346 tons, with a length B.P. of 112 feet and 6 inches, and a beam of 32 feet with a design draught of 15 feet and 3 inches.

She was launched from the yard on 17th of August 1951

She worked the port of Mombasa for eight years before being sold to the Falmouth Steam Towing Company and re-named St Mawes,where she was to continue her working life.

Sunday, 18 July 2010

M.S.C. ROVER

M.S.C. ROVER

Ship No 416


M.S.C. ROVER was the last of the 4 ship order from the Manchester Ship Canal Company.

M.S.C. ROVER, was 154 gross tons, with a length between perpendiculars of 88 feet and 7 inches, and a beam of 22 feet and 11 inches being a twin screw tug powered by a single Crossley Diesel engine, producing 1200 H.P. She was also the most up to date tug of the order.

She was launched on 17th of February 1953.

M.S.C. RANGER

M.S.C.RANGER
Ship No 415


M.S.C. RANGER was the third of the 4 ship order from the Manchester Ship Canal Company.

M.S.C. RANGER, was 154 gross tons, with a length between perpendiculars of 88 feet and 7 inches, and a beam of 22 feet and 11 inches being a twin screw tug powered by a single Crossley Diesel engine, producing 1200 H.P.

She was launched on 29th of January 1952.

M.S.C. QUEST

M.S.C.QUEST
Ship No 414

M.S.C. QUEST was the second of the 4 ship order from the Manchester Ship Canal Company.

M.S.C. QUEST, was 154 gross tons, with a length between perpendiculars of 88 feet and 7 inches, and a beam of 22 feet and 11 inches being a twin screw tug powered by a single Crossley Diesel engine, producing 1200 H.P.

She was launched on 4th of November 1952.

Saturday, 17 July 2010

M.S.C. QUARRY

M.S.C.QUARRY
Ship No 413


She was one of the eight tugs that were intended originally to make up the post war fleet of the Manchester Ship Canal Company, by the time M.S.C. Quarry was ordered and launched the Canal Company ordered another three tugs to bring the order to four new tugs.

M.S.C. QUARRY was 154 gross tons, with a length between perpendiculars of 88 feet and 7 inches, and a beam of 22 feet and 11 inches being a twin screw tug powered by a single Crossley Diesel engine, producing 1200 H.P.

She was launched on 1st of December 1951. She had a working life of 24 years before being broken up in 1975.

M.T.HEWITT

Ship No 412


The Motor Tug HEWITT was an order for Ribble Navigation & Preston Dock.

She was a twin screw diesel tug of 137 tons, with a length of 86 feet and a beam of 23 feet.

She was launched from the Leith yard 1951/52

She ended up being renamed ERMIS

Ship No 411

Was an order for an irrigation barge for the Siamese Government.


She was 50 tons with a length of 53 feet and a beam of 16 feet and 4 inches.

This was a dumb barge, Launched in 1952.

Ship No’s 409 and 410

Part of the same order from Richard Costain Ltd, this was for 2 dumb hopper barges each at 45 tons,


with a length of 45 feet and 6 inches and a beam of 17 feet and 6 inches.

Ship No 408

This was an order for a dredging pontoon for Richard Costain Ltd.


At 35 tons with a length of 43 feet and 10 inches with a beam of 25 feet, built and launched in 1952

M.V.TRENTINO

M.V.TRENTINO
Ship No 407

The MV TRENTINO
Was the sister ship of CAVELLO another great looking Ellerman ship, the same size as her sister ship at 2340 tons, with a length B.P. of 290 feet and a beam of 48 feet and 6 inches, and a design draught of 28 feet and 3 inches.

This fine single screw diesel cargo passenger vessel was launched from the yard on 9th of April 1952.

what where
job title, keywords or company
city, state or zip jobs by job search

Friday, 16 July 2010

M.V. CAVALLO


Ship No 406


Was the lead ship in a two vessel order for the Ellerman Wilson Line. She was a beautiful looking vessel as all the early post war Ellerman ships were, they looked like ships that you could identify with at the time. She was just how a fine ship should look.

At 2340 tons, with a length B.P. of 290 feet and a beam of 48 feet and six inches, and a design draft of 28 feet and 3 inches. She was a single screw diesel cargo passenger vessel.

M.V.CAVALLO

Ship No’s 402 to 405

Was an order for 4 sugar carrying dumb barges, each of 50 tons with a length of 55 feet and a wide beam of 17 feet. All built in 1951.

Ship No 401

Was for a dumb hopper barge built for Christian Salvesen & Co Sth Gorgia


She was 60 tons with a length overall of 57 feet and 6 inches with a beam of 8 feet. She was put to work in the waters of The Islands of South Gorgia, even further South than the Falkland Islands and interestingly the port on the Island is in fact named Leith.

Tuesday, 13 July 2010

T.S.M.V. KOKIRI

T.S.M.V.KOKIRI
Ship No 400


KOKIRI, was the sister ship of KAWATIRI and third ship, of a three ship order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.


Being a twin screw vessel, at 2470 tons, she had a length between perpendiculars of 290 feet and a beam of 43 feet, along with a design draught of 19 feet and 6 inches.

She was of shallow draught to enable her to navigate the tricky and dangerous waters of the New Zealand Coast.

T.S.M.V.KAWATIRI

T.S.M.V. KAWATIRI
Ship No 399


KAWATIRI, was the second, of a three ship order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.

Being a twin screw vessel, and slightly smaller than WAIMATE, at 2484

tons, she had a length between perpendiculars of 290 feet and a beam of 43 feet, along with a design draught of 19 feet and 6 inches.

She was of shallow draught to enable her to navigate the tricky and dangerous waters of the New Zealand Coast.

(Note:- Not to be confused with Ship No 375 KAITAWA the ship that was lost in 1966)

Monday, 12 July 2010

M.V. WAIMATE

M.V.WAIMATE
Ship no 398

M.V.WAIMATE, was the first, of a three ship order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.

At 3506 tons, she was a large vessel for the yard at the time and she had a length between perpendiculars of 325 feet and a beam of 50 feet, along with a design draught of 33 feet and 9 inches.

She was different to the other K class ships except Waimea in that she had tween decks. She was also powered by two diesel engines with electro-magnetic couplings driving a single screw. During the manouvreing operation, one engine would be run ahead and one in reverse. This was a similar system as used on Wairata. It was the first British ship to be built with this arrangement. She was designed as a more versatile ship to be able to run to the Pacific Islands and India. Sold to Phillipine interests in 1972 and scrapped in 1980. Picture taken at Apia in 1961. (Courtesy of www.nzshipmarine.com/)

Sunday, 11 July 2010

M.V. SWIFT

M.V.SWIFT
(Photo courtesy of http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/)

Ship No 397

Was the second ship in a two ship order from the General Steam & Navigation Company Ltd.

From a long pedigree of fine Coasters, she was a single screw diesel cargo vessel for trade around the British Isles.

She was 757 tons with a length of 196 (B.P.) and a beam of 35 feet and 6 inches, with a design draught of 20 feet and 4 inches.

She was launched into the waters of the Firth of Forth on 19th of October 1950.

M.V. HIRONDELLE

M.V.HIRONDELLE
Ship No 396

Was the lead ship in a two ship order from the General Steam & Navigation Company Ltd.

From a long pedigree of fine Coasters, she was a single screw diesel cargo vessel for trade around the British Isles.

She was 757 tons with a length of 196 (B.P.) and a beam of 35 feet and 6 inches, with a design draught of 20 feet and 4 inches.

She was launched into the waters of the Firth of Forth on 22nd of June 1950.

WANGANUI

Ship No 395


Was an order for another single screw diesel grab hopper dredger for the Wanganui Harbour Board of New Zealand.

She was to work the Whanganui river for many years, keeping the silt levels from building up and keeping the river clear so that the many coasters that plied the trade route of New Zealand’s coasts could get tied up in Wanganui Harbour.

She was 252 tons with a length of 107 feet and 6 inches, and a beam of 27 feet.

She was launched from the Leith yard on 18th January 1950.

Not sure if she is still rusting away on the Whanganui River as I have been unable to source any pictures or much info about her.

JEAN INGELOW

Ship No 394

Was an order for a 149 ton single screw diesel grab hopper dredger, one of the many specialised ships that Henry Robb where becoming well known for.

She was ordered from The Boston Corporation of Linc’s and she was 99 feet in length with a beam of 25 feet.

Jean Ingelow, was a popular nineteenth century English Poetess

She was launched on 24th of March 1950

Saturday, 10 July 2010

MTWARA

Ship no 393


The sister ship of MOMBASA ordered from The British India Steam Navigation Company, for this twin screw passenger cargo vessel.

She was another fine looking ship at 2629 tons.

At 280 feet in length she was 30 feet longer than Mombasa and she had a beam of 46 feet.

She was launched from the yard on 20th of August 1950.

M.V. MTWARA was to end up being used by the Chilean Navy during the early 1980’s.

CLAROBEN

Ship No 392


This was an order from Dorman Long of Middlesboro for a crude oil carrying barge.

At 129 tons she was 81 feet and 8 inches overall with a beam of 20 feet.

KETAM

Ship No 391


Was an order from Preistman Brothers Limited for a single screw hopper grab dredger.

She was 125 tons with a length of 95 feet and a beam of 25 feet with draught at 7 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched 21st of June 1949.

Ship No 390

Was a Pontoon ordered by Beira Boating Company, part of the six barge order from them.


At 85 tons and with a length of 50 feet and a beam of 33 feet and 8 inches, she was built and launched in late 1949.

M.V.MAMAKU

Ship No 389

Was an order from the Anchor Steamship Company of New Zealand, for a Twin Screw Diesel Cargo Vessel of 927 tons. She was another vessel built for the New Zealand coastal routes.


She was 175 feet in length with a beam of 36 feet and a shallow draught at 12 feet and 9 inches.

She was launched on 28th July 1949.

M.V.MAMAKU

Ship No 383 to 388

This was an order from the Beira Boating Company for six in total dumb barges, all of 105 tons, with a length of 75 feet and a beam of 20 feet.


They were all launched from the yard 1949/50.

Sunday, 4 July 2010

M.S.C. PUMA

Ship No 382


The second modern tug of the two ship order from the Manchester Ship Canal Company, sister ship to PANTHER.

She was 154 tons, with a length between perpendiculars (L.B.P.) of 88 feet, with a beam of 23 feet. Powered by a single screw Crossley oil engine I.H.P. 1200

Launched 11th of February 1950

M.S.C. PUMA (Ship No 382)

M.S.C. PANTHER

M.S.C. PANTHER
Ship No 381


As part of the large modernisation programme for the Manchester Ship Canal, an order was placed for the supply of two, latest designed, twin screw diesel tugs.

Panther was the first of this two ship order for tugs built at Leith. One of the eight new tugs to be built by the Henry Robb Company to help make up the post war renewal fleet. Became Weston Panther of Weston Marine Services in 1975.Later sold to SONATRAM, Société Nationale des Travaux Maritimes, Algeria in 1977. I have no further info on her after this time, so if you know then get in touch and we can get her history right up to date.

She was 154 tons, with a length between perpendiculars (L.B.P.) of 88 feet, with a beam of 23 feet. Powered by a single screw Crossley oil engine I.H.P. 1200

Launched 11th of February 1950

MOLE

Ship No 380


Was an order for a Twin Screw Steam Grab Dredger for Priestman Bros Ltd.

She was 311 tons, with a length of 130 feet and a beam of 28 feet.

She was launched from the yard on 15th March 1949.

MOMBASA

M.V. MOMBASA
Ship No 379


Was an order from the British India Steam Navigation Company, one of the largest shipping lines of the day.

The order was for a Twin Screw Passenger Cargo vessel, and she was used on the Mombasa to Mtwara service via Zanzibar - Dar es Salaam - Kilwa and Lindi.

She was 250 feet in length with a beam of 43 feet and a draught of 19 feet.

Tonnage : 2, 213g, 1,090n, 1, 364dwt.

Engines: Twin Screw 2 x 5 Cylinder 2S.C.S.A Polar Diesels, 1, 600 BHP, 250 rpm, 13.8 Knots (Trials).

Passengers: 8 First Class, 16 Second Class, 250 Deck.

Refrigerated space 2, 000 cu ft.

Launched 21st October 1949, completed 29th January 1950.

She served this route for ten years before being sold on and re-named Kareem, she was finally broken up in 1968.

M.S.C.GRAB HOPPER NO 1

Ship No 378


An order from the Manchester Ship Canal Company, but for a dredger this time to help keep the vital shipping link open.

She was a single screw grab dredger, diesel powered and at 479 tons, with a length of 142 feet and a beam of 30 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched from the Henry Robb shipyard on 12th January 1949.

M.V. KAMONA

Ship No 377


The M.V. KAMONA was the third, vessel of the three ship order for the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand.

She was a little bit smaller than the two previous ships at 1,785 tons, with a length of 235 feet and a beam of 45 feet and a shallower draught at 16 feet.

Launched 12th May 1949.

M.V. KAIAPOI

Ship No 376


The M.V. KAIAPOI was the sister ship of KAITAWA, ordered from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand .

She was a large modern twin screw diesel cargo vessel of 2,485 tons with a length of 290 feet, and a beam of 43 feet and draught of 19 feet and six inches. Built to carry coal and general cargo.

She was launched from the Leith shipyard on 16th March 1949.

M.V. KAITAWA

M.V.KAITAWA
Ship No 375


The M.V. KAITAWA was an order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, first ship of a three ship order.

She was a large modern twin screw diesel cargo vessel of 2,485 tons with a length of 290 feet, and a beam of 43 feet and draught of 19 feet and six inches. Built to carry coal and general cargo.

She was launched from the Leith shipyard on 19th October 1948.

Made countless voyages from the West Coast with coal and was lost with all hands without trace in heavy weather near Cape Maria van Dieman on 23 May 1966. A reminder to all, of the always present danger of a life at sea.

M.V. GREBE

M.V. GREBE
Ship No 374


Was an order from the General Steam & Navigation Company Ltd.

She was another modern single screw cargo vessel, built to ply the coasts of the British Isle’s. Tracing a pedigree back to the original Coaster’s designed and built for Coast Line’s, and which had been proved in war conditions, these vessels were the backbone of British trade at the time.

M.V. Grebe was 933 tons, with a length of 220 feet, and beam of 37 feet.

She was launched from the yard 25th March 1948.


M.V.GREBE (Ship No 374)

Ship No 373

Was the second of the two ship order for the firm of Priestman Brothers Ltd.


She was a single screw grab dredger at 150 tons, and a length of 50 feet and beam of 12 feet.

Ship No 372

Was an order for an un-named as yet single screw Grab Dredger of the firm of Priestman Brothers Ltd.


She was 150 tons with a length of 50 feet and a beam of 12 feet.

M.S.C. ONWARD

M.S.C. ONWARD
Ship No 371


As part of the large modernisation programme for the Manchester Ship Canal, an order was placed for the supply of two, latest designed, twin screw diesel tugs.

Onward was the second of the tugs built at Leith. One of the eight tugs to be built by the Henry Robb Company to help make up the post war renewal fleet. She was sold by the Manchester Ship Canal in 1973 and she was to go onto have a few more names.

She was sold by the Manchester Ship Canal to become the tug Fairlight of AN Vogel; then Hastings of Sterling Finance, both in 1975; she was sold on again in 1976 to Greek interests.

She was 154 tons, with a length between perpendiculars (L.B.P.) of 88 feet, with a beam of 23 feet. Powered by a single screw Crossley oil engine I.H.P. 1200

Launched 2nd of September 1947, one month after her sister ship M.S.C. ONSET.

M.S.C. ONSET

M.S.C. ONSET
Ship No 370


As part of the large modernisation programme for the Manchester Ship Canal, an order was placed for the supply of two, latest designed, twin screw diesel tugs.

Onset was the first of the two to be built.

One of the eight tugs to be built by the Henry Robb Company to help make up the post war renewal fleet. She was sold by the Manchester Ship Canal in 1973 and she was to go onto have a few more names.

She became ONSET then AFON WEN of Holyhead Towing Co, both in 1973. In 1976 she was sold on again to Sondora (Panama) and renamed KOCABAS (from 1990 KOCABAS I), she may indeed have been sold on yet again.

She was 154 tons, with a length between perpendiculars (L.B.P.) of 88 feet, with a beam of 23 feet. Powered by a single screw Crossley oil engine I.H.P. 1200

Launched 19th of August 1947

Ship No's 364 to 369

Was an order for Barges for the Anglo Iranian Oil Company Ltd.


The order was for six in total dumb barges all of 85 tons, with a length overall of 80 feet and a beam of 19 feet. They were all built and launched in 1947/48

M.V. PURIRI

M.V.PURIRI
Ship No 363


Was a replacement for the previous PURIRI (Which was a war loss when she struck a mine and sank in 1941 Hauraki gulf May 1941, with the unfortunate loss of five lives) for the Anchor Line of New Zealand.

Built to carry coal, bagged cement and dolimite from West Coast ports and Tarakoe to North Island ports.

She was a bit larger than the first “PURIRI” at 1248 tons, with a length of 200 feet and a beam of 39 feet, she was also similar in the shallow draught of 13 feet to allow entry to some of the harbours down the New Zealand coast.
M.V.PURIRI crossing the bar on entering the Wanganui river.

Saturday, 3 July 2010

M.V. KONUI

M.V.KONUI
Ship No 362


Was the second of the two ship order for the Union Steamship Company Ltd of New Zealand.

Sister ship to M.V. Kaitangata, she had an overall length of 290 feet with a beam of 43 feet, and a draught of 19 feet and 6 inches.

At 2,485 tons this fine vessel was big for a coaster. and strongly built for a tough working life in the seas around New Zealand.
She was launched from the yard on 25th May 1948.

M.V. KAITANGATA

M.V.KAITANGATA

Ship No 361


Was an order for the Union Steamship Company Ltd of New Zealand.

M.V. Kaitangata was the first of a two ship order for these modern motor vessels to work the coasts of New Zealand and the trans-Tasman route to Australia.

She had an overall length of 290 feet with a beam of 43 feet, and a draught of 19 feet and 6 inches.

At 2,485 tons this fine vessel was big for a coaster and strongly built for a tough working life in the seas around New Zealand.

She was launched from the yard on 27th January 1948.

View from the deck of M.V.KAITANGATA

Thursday, 1 July 2010

M.V. PALMELIAN

M.V.PALMELIAN
Ship No 360
M.V. Palmelian was the first of two, twin screw Cargo Steamer’s ordered from the Ellerman Wilson Line to help replace ships that the company had lost during the 6 long years of the war at sea.

All part of the large order placed with Henry Robb for 6 vessels. Although twin screwed, she was slightly smaller than the four previous single screwed vessels. At 1533 tons and with a length of 255 feet and a beam of 42 feet, she was a good looking vessel and was launched from the yard on 12th of November 1947 She was the sixth and final ship built to the large order from the Ellerman Wilson Line.

M.V.PALMELIAN

M.V. DARINIAN

M.V. DARINIAN (Ship No 359)
Ship No 359
M.V. Darinian was the first of two, twin screw Cargo Steamer’s ordered from the Ellerman Wilson Line to help replace ships that the company had lost during the 6 long years of the war at sea.

All part of the large order placed with Henry Robb for 6 vessels. Although twin screwed, she was slightly smaller than the four previous single screwed vessels. At 1533 tons and with a length of 255 feet and a beam of 42 feet, she was a good looking vessel and was launched from the yard on 21st of May 1947.

M.V.DARINIAN

S.S. SILVIO

S.S.SILVIO
Ship No 358

S.S. Silvio was a single screw Cargo Steamer, to help replace war loses. At 1795 tons, with a length of 280 feet and a beam of 42 feet, they were very fine looking ships with graceful lines. She drew a draught of 25 feet and 3 inches.

She was launched from the yard on 12th December 1946. She was the fourth ship in the large order for the Ellerman Wilson Line.

S.S.SILVIO (Ship No 358)