|M.V.SALERNO (Ellerman Wilson Line)|
Ship No 495
The motor vessel SALERNO was the first ship in what was to prove to be the largest single order for ships that Henry Robb shipbuilders were ever to secure.
The order from their good customer Ellerman Wilson Line was for a total of 7 (seven) ships, with the SALERNO the first of them.
5 of the ships were to be “S” class ships and they were all to have there name beginning with the letter “S”.
Some knowledgeable sailors who sailed on the new Ellerman Wilson ships do say that they were not as good as the previous classic looking vessels launched from the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb Shipbuilders in Scotland. (Such is progress)
The M.V.SALERNO was a single screw diesel cargo ship of 1559 grt, with a length between perpendiculars of 280 feet and a beam of 45 feet and 6 inches, with a design draught of 26 feet.
She was launched into the River Forth on 24th of November 1965.