Ship No 363
Was a replacement for the previous PURIRI (Which was a war loss when she struck a mine and sank in 1941 Hauraki gulf May 1941, with the unfortunate loss of five lives) for the Anchor Line of New Zealand.
Built to carry coal, bagged cement and dolimite from West Coast ports and Tarakoe to North Island ports.
She was a bit larger than the first “PURIRI” at 1248 tons, with a length of 200 feet and a beam of 39 feet, she was also similar in the shallow draught of 13 feet to allow entry to some of the harbours down the New Zealand coast.
M.V.PURIRI crossing the bar on entering the Wanganui river.