Ship No 375
The M.V. KAITAWA was an order from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, first ship of a three ship order.
She was a large modern twin screw diesel cargo vessel of 2,485 tons with a length of 290 feet, and a beam of 43 feet and draught of 19 feet and six inches. Built to carry coal and general cargo.
She was launched from the Leith shipyard on 19th October 1948.
Made countless voyages from the West Coast with coal and was lost with all hands without trace in heavy weather near Cape Maria van Dieman on 23 May 1966. A reminder to all, of the always present danger of a life at sea.