Ship No 376
The M.V. KAIAPOI was the sister ship of KAITAWA, ordered from the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand .
She was a large modern twin screw diesel cargo vessel of 2,485 tons with a length of 290 feet, and a beam of 43 feet and draught of 19 feet and six inches. Built to carry coal and general cargo.
She was launched from the Leith shipyard on 16th March 1949.