Was a further order for the supply of Four more, Ocean Going Diesel salvage tugs, all of the “Bustler Class” With Reward being the sixth of the class built by Henry Robb in Leith.
They were required to carry out salvage and rescue work along with convoy escort duties.
They were large and very powerful tugs put to good use during World War II and for long after as well. A fleet of the “Bustler class tugs along with others were stationed in Campbeltown on the Scottish coast during the long “Battle of the Atlantic”
Nicknamed the “Campbeltown Navy” they were instrumental in saving many thousands of tons of shipping badly needed for the war effort against Hitler’s Germany and they also saved countless seamen from the ravages of the U-Boats.
She was 1,100 tons with a length overall of 190 feet and beam of 38 feet and six inches, with a draught of 19 feet.
Laid down 6 Apr 1944
Launched 13 Oct 1944
Commissioned 12 Mar 1945
She was Sunk in a collision in thick fog in the River Forth on 10 August 1976. She was raised by the Royal Navy and broken up for scrap.
“Bustler Class Rescue Tugs”, were to have a crew of 42 men, and powered by Diesel engines with a single screw, producing 4,000 hp. giving a top speed of 16 knots.