Ship No 350
Twin screw “Bay Class” Frigate.
This was to be the last warship built at the Henry Robb shipyard.
She was the third and last of the Bay Class Anti-Aircraft Frigate’s.
She was initially ordered on 19th January 1944 for build as a LOCH Class Anti-submarine Frigate, but the contract was changed later that year before build had commenced.
Originally to have been named H.M.S.LOCH COULSIDE she was laid down as an Anti-Aircraft Frigate on 25th September 1944 and launched as H.M.S. PADSTOW BAY by Henry Robb at Leith on 28th August 1945. She was the first Royal Navy ship to carry this name and build was completed on 11th March 1946.
Bay Class Frigate
Was a modified Loch Class to convert to Anti-aircraft. They carried heavier Anti-aircraft weaponry and radar director. Still carried a hedgehog and depth charges but primary role was now Anti-aircraft, intended to give support to the D Day landings and for the Pacific theatre, where the main threat was from air attack. Use of pre-fabrication and the ability to use a common hull for different variants were features that ensured much of the Bay and Loch classes would influence post war Escort design. The excellent sea-keeping qualities of the hulls were ably demonstrated on several occasions when ships of the class rode out Typhoons which were a common hazard in the Far East.
By the mid 1950 the usefulness, against modern aircraft was in decline.