Ship No 349
Twin screw “Bay Class” Frigate.
Second of the BAY Class Anti-Aircraft Frigate’s initially ordered on 25th January 1943 for build as a LOCH Class Anti-Submarine Frigate, but for which the ordered was changed in 1944. Originally to have been named H.M.S.LOCH MADDY.
She was laid down on 8th June 1944 and launched as H.M.S.CARNARVON BAY by Henry Robb shipyard at Leith on 15th March 1945.
She was launched two months before the war with Germany was to end, but of course the war with Japan continued, until August 1945.
She was the first Royal Navy ship to carry this name she was completed on 20th September 1945
She served in home waters for a few years before being laid up, then she was eventually sold for scrap in 1959.
A short career for a fine ship.