Help keep the site going

Saturday, 15 May 2010

M.V. PURIRI

Ship No 273

Was another order from New Zealand but this time for the Anchor Line Co. This order was for a coaster of 927 tons.
She had an overall length of 180 feet and a beam of 35 feet, with a draught of 14 feet.
She was launched from the yard on 25th October 1938.

At the outbreak of World War II the motor vessel “Puriri” was taken over by the New Zealand Navy and converted to the role of Minesweeper, and re-named H.M.N.Z.S. Puriri, it was while doing this dangerous work that on 14th May 1941,
She struck a mine in the Hauraki Gulf in New Zealand’s North Island; she sank with the loss of five of her crew (all ex-merchant seamen reservists)
M.V."Puriri" Ship No 273

No comments: