An order from Captain A.F. Watchlin of Wellington, New Zealand for a modern twin screw Motor Cargo Vessel.
She was 1524 tons and with a length overall of 235 feet with a beam of 40 feet and a draft of 15 feet and 6 inches.
She was launched from the yard of Henry Robb on 11th November 1936
(Built in 1935, the “Port Tauranga” with her hatch opening of 96 feet. proved very valuable for the transport of long piles needed for naval construction work in the Dominion. “From Leith built ships on war service”)
"Port Tauranga" Ship No 235
Some more History of “Port Tauranga”
1,529 tons. Lb: 74.0 x 13.7 metres. Built in 1937 by Henry Robb, Scotland as Port Tauranga owned by Capt A F Watchlin, Auckland. In December 1947 Union Company acquired the remaining interest in the shipping company owned by Watchlin.One of these, Port Tauranga, was the specialist timber carrier specialising in the transport of Australian hardwood power poles and wharf piles to New Zealand. At the time her 30 metre long hatch was the longest recorded by Lloyds Register. Union Company renamed her Kopua although their original intention was to name her Kama. Instead, in 1948 renamed Kopua, 1960 sold to Hethking Steamships, Sydney, renamed Cobargo. Sold to Samoan owners (United SS) and renamed Samoan Bay in 1973. Sold to Fui-Yong Wood and renamed Universal Dallas in 1974. Recorded as 'broken up" 1977 or 1986.