Help keep the site going

Saturday, 3 April 2010

GENERAL IV

Ship No 222

Was an order from General Lighterage Co, for a Motor Tug, of 50 tons with a length overall of 65 feet and beam of 16 feet and 6 inches.
GENERAL IV -Renamed Sarah Burn

Some history of General IV

1936 GENERAL IV, 1980 CHALKY WHITE, 1983 SARAH BURN, 1990 GENERAL IV
50 GRT, (65'x16'6"x6'6"(8'6")

Machinery: 1 scr, diesel 6cyl Polar Atlas type M36I (nr 213), 390bhp-291kW@ 300rpm


1936: Built by "Henry Robb" at Leith (YN 222)

1936: delivered to "General Lighterage Co Ltd" at London

1942 -24/09: on Admiralty service (mng W France Fenwick & Co, so perhaps in North East)

1942 -46/12: on Admiralty service in West Africa

1947: returned to owners

1963: taken over by "Thames & General Lighterage Co Ltd" at London

1970: To "Electro Marine Engineering Co Ltd" (operating name "Gravesend Towing Services")

19xx: To "Millwall Lighterage" at London

1980: To "A.E. White & Sons Ltd" at London, renamed CHALKY WHITE

1983: To "Penfold" at Erith, renamed SARAH BURN

1987: To "Able Towing and Marine Services" at Rochester

1989: To "Argyle Charters" at Campbeltown

1990: Re-renamed back to GENERAL IV

1994: To Frank Warling (used as a private vessel)

1994: Caught by customs for drugs smuggling, seized and laid up at Campbeltown

199x: To "Oates family"

2001: Delisted as a tug

2003: To Simon Sawers on the Firth of Clyde, under restoration

2004: Filled up and sank in Bowling harbour

No comments: