Help keep the site going

Monday, 26 April 2010


Ship No 264

Was the second ship in the order from the Admiralty for an Indicator loop Mine Layer, to be the same size as her sister ship “Ringdove” with a length overall of 145 feet and beam of 17 feet with the same draft at 14 feet.
She was launched from the yard 16th of June 1938.
“Ringdove” was sunk in December 1940 and I have been unable to track down any more info on this vessel.
We have since been informed that HMS RINGDOVE was in fact sold to Pakistan in 1950 and used as a pilot vessel.


Ship No 263

Was an order from the Admiralty for an Indicator Loop Mine Layer, she was the first of two such ships ordered with an obvious eye on the conflict which was to engulf the world very soon.

She was 425 tons with a length overall of 145 feet and a beam of 17 feet with a draft of 14 feet.

She was launched from the yard on 3rd of May 1938.

H.M.S."Redstart" (Ship No 263)

Sunday, 25 April 2010



Ship No 262

She was a twin screw motor cargo vessel, of 932 tons ordered by Bahama Line U.S.A.

With a length overall of 250 feet and a beam of 38 feet.

She was launched from the Leith shipyard of Henry Robb on 28th June 1938 and was to go on to have a very interesting history which included her time as a U.S. Navy ship of the Kaula Class and the new name of U.S.S. Kaula.

Operation Pacific Operation Pacific
Hollywood's version of the Naval War in the Pacific has led many people to believe that it was an all-American affair and that the Royal Navy took no part in it. But, as Edwin Gray shows in Operation Pacific, Such a scenario is a travesty of the truth. In fact, the Royal Navy and its Commonwealth partners played a very significant role in the Pacific War and waged a vigorous non-stop battle with the enemy, from the earliest days of defeat and disaster though to the ultimate triumph of Victory. And, indeed, it is not generally realised that Japanese troops actually landed in Malaya and opened hostilities in Britain a full ninety minutes before Nagumo's dive-bombers swept down on the unsuspecting American pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbour to bring the United States into the war. Operation Pacific is the first book to provide a full and detailed account of Britain's Naval contribution tot he ultimate defeat of Japan - a saga that ranges from the darkest days pf December 1941, to the vast carrier operations and kamikaze attacks of the final battles in 1945. And, while in no way disparaging the heroic achievements and fighting courage of the US forces in the Pacific, Edwyn Gray reveals that the Royal Navy's cooperation was not always welcomed by her over-mighty Ally and that America's top brass, notably admiral Ernest King and General Douglas MacAuthur , were implacably opposed to British involvement in the Pacific for both practical and political reasons. Offering a clear, concise, and comprehensive picture of the part played by the Royal Navy and Commonwealth forces in the Far East War, Operation pacific is an absorbing story handled with all the skill which readers have come to expect from one of the leading popular naval historians of our day.

From the book Leith Built Ships on War Service, printed sometime in 1946 by the Shipbuilders Henry Robb Ltd of Leith, Scotland. (See Picture above)

M.V. “Cubahama” The building and delivering of this fine 15-knot ship to her United States owners in 1938 caused a mild furore in british Shipbuilding circles. Built specially for the West Indies banana trade, this ship was requisitioned by the air branch of the U.S. Navy and eventually purchased outright and re-named U.S. “Kaula.” Whilst attached to the Naval Air Arm, the ship rendered very useful service in the Pacific campaigns and took part in some epoch-making battles.

'USS Kaula (AG-33) was built in 1938 by Henry Robb Ltd, in Leith, Scotland. She was acquired by the U.S. Navy as Cubahama 3 January 1941 from her owner, Balboa Shipping Company of New York and renamed Kaula 15 January then commissioned at Baltimore, Maryland 22 January with Lieutenant Commander W. L. Ware in command.

(Courtesy of Navsource Project General Manager, Manager, Auxiliaries, Amphibious and Yard and District Craft Archives)

Kaula Class Miscellaneous Auxiliary:

• Built in 1938 by Henry Robb, Ltd., Leith, Scotland

• Acquired as MV Cubahama, 3 January 1941, from her owner, Balboa Shipping Co., N.Y.

• Commissioned USS Kaula (AG-33), 22 January 1941 at Baltimore. MD., LCDR. W. L. Ware in command

• During World War II USS Kaula was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater

• Decommissioned, 14 January 1946

• Struck from the Naval Register, 12 March 1946

• Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 15 July 1946 for sale to her former owners

• Final Disposition, (See more below)


Displacement 2,100 t.(lt) 2,250 t.(fl)

Length 269' 9"

Beam 38' 3"

Draft 13' 5" (lim)

Speed 15.1 kts (trial)


Officers 7

Enlisted 63

Largest Boom Capacity 3 t.


one single 4"/50 cal gun mount

two single 3"/50 cal dual purpose gun mounts

four .50 cal. machine guns

Fuel Capacity Diesel 1,120 Bbls


two Atlas Diesel engines

Ship's Service Generators

two Diesel-drive 60Kw 240V D.C.

two Diesel-drive 40Kw 240V D.C.

two propellers, 2,240shp

Class Notes:

FY: None (acquired with funds appropriated for "Maintenance Bureau of Ships"). On 23 November 1940 CNO directed the acquisition of this ship for use as a miscellaneous auxiliary (AG). She was needed to carry cargo to outlying bases in the 14th (Hawaiian) Naval District, particularly Johnston and Palmyra Islands, and was accordingly named after an island in the Hawaiian group. (Early Navy correspondence misrepresented her Navy name as Kaulahe, and this erroneous name was actually welded on her stern in raised letters.) She was taken over from the Balboa Shipping Co., a subsidiary of the United Fruit Co., and given a limited conversion by Bethlehem SB Co., Key Highway Plant, Baltimore, Md. No guns were mounted during this conversion--they were added in 1942 at Pearl Harbor. Much of the cargo carried was ammunition and other explosives, and sprinklers were added to some of her holds in 1942 to give her some protection against fire. She served as an inter-island supply ship in the Hawaii area until May 1945 and was then reassigned to Alaska. In 1946 she was resold to her former owner through the MC (WSA).                                         (Taken from U.S. Naval Sources.)

Broadside view of USS Kaula (AG-33) underway in Puget Sound, 26 July 1945. Naval Air Station, Seattle photo # 19-N-89167, a Bureau of Ships photo now in the collections of the US National Archives RG-19-LCM.

(Below is from the U.S. Coastguard Files, courtesy of -Archivist

Naval History & Heritage Command

Kaula, 1941



A small, rocky, 550-foot high islet in the Hawaiian Islands, nearly 20 miles westsouthwest

of Niihau Island.

Builder: Henry Robb, Ltd., Leith, Scotland

Commissioned: 1938 (private); 3 January 1941

Decommissioned: 14 January 1946

Length: 267'

Beam: 38' 3"


Displacement: 2,100 tons



Max: 12 knots


Deck Gear:

Complement: 70

Armament: 1 x 4"; 2 x 3"; 4 x .50 cal MG



Kaula (AG-33) was built in 1938 by Henry Robb, Ltd., Leith, Scotland; acquired as

Cubahama 3 January 1941 from her owner, Balboa Shipping Co., New York. She

was renamed Kaula on 15 January and commissioned at Baltimore 22 January,

Lt. Comdr. W. L. Ware in command.

Sailing to Hampton Roads, Virginia, 25 January, Kaula departed 4 February for

Hawaii, via the Panama Canal and the West Coast, reaching Pearl Harbor 17

March. Prior to the outbreak of war in the Pacific, she carried cargo from Pearl

Harbor and Honolulu to various islands in the Hawaiian chain and to Johnston

and Palmyra Islands. During the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor 7 December, she

was en route to Palmyra Island.

Throughout the struggle with the Japanese Empire, Kaula operated out of Pearl

Harbor and Honolulu to principal Hawaiian Islands and to outlying islands west to

Midway and south to Palmyra. Usually sailing in convoy, she ranged the Hawaiian

Sea frontier carrying military equipment, ammunition, and contingents of Seabees

until she sailed for the United States 18 May 1945, arriving Seattle 26 May.

Following 2 months of overhaul Kaula departed Seattle 31 July on the first of

several voyages to Alaska where she transported materials for the construction of

Coast Guard LORAN stations in the Alaska area. Assigned to the 13th Naval

District, she steamed for the U.S. Coast Guard to Ketchikan, Juneau, Seward,

Kodiak, and Dutch Harbor before returning to Seattle 18 September. She

operated in Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca before steaming to Blake

Island Anchorage, Wash., 6 December and decommissioning 14 January 1946.

Struck from the Naval Register 12 March, Kaula was transferred to the Maritime

Commission 15 July for sale to her former owner.


Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. Washington, DC: USGPO.

She was still called CUBAHAMA 1947, and then renamed WANDAJEAN 1976. Deleted 1993. So this fine vessel seems to have disappeared from records around 1993. This would complete a near 55 year service history and tribute to the Shipbuilders of Henry Robb

Ship No’s 258 to 261

Was for another four Dumb Barges for Anglo Iranian Oil, they were smaller at 75 tons each, all with a length overall of 80 feet and a beam of 19 feet and draft of 5 feet and 6 inches.

(Some history of Anglo Iranian Oil Company Ltd)
The Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC) was founded in 1908 following the discovery of a large oil field in Masjed Soleiman, Iran. It was the first company using the oil reserves of the Middle East. APOC was renamed Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC) in 1935 and eventually became the British Petroleum Company (BP) in 1954, as one root of the BP Company today.
For more on this topic visit

Ship No’s 248 to 257

Was a large order for a total of 10 (ten) Dumb Barges, for the Anglo Iranian Oil Company Ltd.
This was a good start to 1938 for the continued employment of the men in the yard.
The first ten barges were all of the same size at 125 tons, with a length overall of 125 feet and a beam of 27 feet and draft of 6 feet and 6 inches.

Saturday, 24 April 2010


Ship No 247

Was the second of the “Dog Class” armed trawlers to be built in Henry Robb for the Admiralty.
H.M.S. “Mastiff” was an order from the Admiralty for a second of class armed trawler of the “Dog Class” She was designed and built by Henry Robb Shipbuilders with an obvious eye to the coming hostilities that developed into World War II.

She was an improved version of this class and a bit larger than her sister ship “Basset” she was launched on 17th February 1938.
She had a displacement of 520 tons with a length overall of 150 feet and beam of 27 feet and 6 inches. She had a top speed of 12 knots and a crew compliment of around 35. Being armed initially with a 4 inch gun for’d and 2 x .303 machine guns.

She struck a mine in the Thames estuary and was lost on 20 November 1939, only two months after war had been declared.

H.M.S. Mastiff (Ship No 247)


Ship No 246

Was another order for the Robertson Line, sister ship to “Spinel” she was a small coaster build for the coastal trade around the British Isle’s.

She was 650 tons, with a length overall of 175 feet and a beam of 28 feet and 6 inches, she was launched from the yard on the 20th November 1937.

She was also to play her part in the coming conflict that would soon engulf the world into war.

“The Motor ship “Jacinth” took part in the invasion of Norway and then, after a period of home service, she assisted in the North African landings, being probably the first merchant ship to enter Oran harbour.

Subsequently, she was involved in the early stages of the attack on Sicily and was at Naples soon after its capture. In all this she received no damage”.
M.V."Jacinth" (Ship No 246)


Ship No 245

Was the first in line of many ships built for the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, who as it turned out where one of the best customers of the famous Leith Shipyard.
USSC where modernising there fleet for trade around the waters of the North and South Islands of New Zealand and to the outlying South Pacific Islands.
Many of their vessels were also built for the run across the Tasman Sea to Australia.

The M.V. Kahika, was a twin screw motor cargo vessel, she was of 1536 tons, with an overall length of 235 feet and a beam of 45 feet she had a draft of 15 feet and 6 inches to navigate over some of the bars into New Zealand ports.

She was launched from the yard of Henry Robb in Leith on 17 December 1937.

M.V. Kahika was to serve in the Second World War, where for many months she plied her trade between the dangerous waters of Australia and New Zealand, until she was lost when striking uncharted rocks.

M.V."Kahika" (Ship No 245)

Monday, 19 April 2010


Ship No 244

Was the first of two such vessels ordered by W.Robertson & Co.

M.V. Spinel at 650 tons was built for trade as a coaster and worked down the West Coast of Scotland before being called up for war service.

She had an overall length of 175 feet and a beam of 28 feet and 6 inches.

She was launched from the yard on 8th September 1937.

“Spinel” took part in the evacuation of the British expeditionary Force from the beaches at Dunkirk, She was captured by enemy forces and taken into service by the German Navy.
M.V."Spinel" (Ship No 244)


Ship No 243

The second in the order from United Africa Co, she was another twin screw motor cargo vessel, just a bit longer and heavier than her sister “A.A.Cowan”.

She was 320 tons and had a length overall of 136 feet and a beam of 24 feet.

She was launched from the yard 4 months before her sister ship on 10th August 1937.

I have been unable to find any photo’s of her as yet.


Ship No 242

Was an order from United Africa Co (which became part of the giant Unilever Co) for a twin screw motor cargo vessel of 295 tons. She had a length overall of 125 feet with a beam of 24 feet, designed for trade along the African coast carrying Palm Oil. She was launched from the yard on 1st of December 1937.

United Africa Company.A brief history -
Palm Line London had its beginings with the United Africa Co,a shipping subsidiary of Lever Brothers - Unilever Ltd..

By 1910 William Lever was well known in the soap industry..Having to buy supplies of palm oil from third parties he bought two established palm tree plantations in Nigeria and in 1911 he expanded the business into the Belgian Congo..Deciding to carry his own cargoes he bought a small shipping company,H.Watson & Co of Manchester..In 1916 he formed the Bromport Steamship Co with eight ships.

Before the war ended,four ships were sunk by enemy action.

In 1920 the Niger Company was purchased and in 1923 the remaining four ships were sold to Royal Mail Lines..

In 1925 William Lever died.

In 1929 the Niger Company merged with the African & Eastern Trade Corporation who owned ships and United Africa Company was founded..

A few months later the company merged with the Dutch Margarine Union.

The eventual formation of Palm Line was the result of these mergers.

Early 1930s,seven second hand ships were purchased to expand the fleet.

Unilever had large amounts of money in Germany and could not transfer it to Britain. The money could however,be used to build ships in Germany so Unilever ordered seven cargo ships and a tanker in 1934 and all were delivered by 1937.


GAMBIAN and TAKORADIAN entered Dakar for bunkers on 5th July 1940, a few days after the collapse of France and they were seized by the Vichy regime and handed over to Germany.

They were returned to UAC at end of the war..

At start of hostilities in 1939, United Africa Company owned 16 ships and during the war 9 were sunk..3 ships were built for UAC during the war.

On 16th February 1949 a meeting of shareholders voted to rename the company Palm Line..

At that time they owned 15 deep sea ships.

Sunday, 18 April 2010


Ship No 241

Was an order from the British, India Steam and Navigation Co, she was 1031 tons, a twin screw motor cargo vessel of 1031 tons, with a length overall of 230 feet and beam of 36 feet, she was launched from the yard on the 25th August 1937, and completed 30th October 1937.

Powered by Twin Screw, 2 x 5 Cylinder Polar, 2S.SA, 1, 450 BHP, 312 NHP

She had a speed of 12 knots and she was named after the port in Mozambique.
Sofala was specifically built for the East African Coastal Trades, she had four work boats aft to assist in cargo working at Roadstead ports, and she was the first Company ship with her Engine Room aft. She entered the Liner Division in March 1940 and exactly a year later became a Mechanical Transport Ship for service in the Somaliland Campaign. In October of 1941 she became a Cased Petrol Ship and had the distinction of being the first British Merchant Ship to enter Benghazi four days after it had been captured by the Allies in 1942. After her war service she returned to the East African coast and remained as such until being sold to African Coasters (PTY) Ltd of Durban on the 15th of May 1955 and renamed Voorloper. She was sold to Orient Maritime Corporation S.A. of Panama in 1968, renamed Sincere Orient and moved to the Far East. She was sold again with no change of name by the Sun Yuan Co in 1971 and was still registered until 1993 after which she was deleted because there had been no recent reports as to her whereabouts. So we don’t know what happened to her up to now, She may have gone for scrap or could be rusting away in some corner of the globe.

M.V.Sofala (Ship No 241)

Saturday, 17 April 2010


Ship No 240

Was an order from the Dundee, Perth & London Shipping Co Ltd, She was to have a special hold construction that enabled her to carry bulk and general cargo.

She was a single screw motor cargo vessel of 964 tons, with a length overall of 223 feet and a beam of 36 feet.

Launched on the 8th of July 1937 from the Leith yard of Henry Robb, she was to have a very eventful war service a couple of years after her launch which you can read more of at the Leith Built Ships on War Service page on this blog.

M.V."Lochee" Ship No 240

Ship No 239

A.I.O.C. 19

Was an order from Anglo Iranian Oil Co Ltd, for an Oil carrying Barge of 60 tons.

This barge had an overall length of 68 feet and a beam of 20 feet and draft of 5 feet and 9 inches.


Ship No 238

Was an order from Californian Standard Oil Company Ltd

For an Oil Tanker of 444 tons, she had a length overall of 130 feet and a beam of 26 feet with a draft of 13 feet and 3 inches.

She was launched from the Victoria yard of Henry Robb on 11th February 1937 in what was a busy time for the yard with all eight berths being used for building.
I have no further info on this vessel up to now.

Friday, 16 April 2010


Ship No 237

Was the sister ship of “Lockwood” and she had the same dimensions and tonnage as her sister.

She was launched from the yard 17 days before “Lockwood” on 1st November 1936.

"Rookwood" Ship No 237


Ship No 236

Was an order for a single screw Motor Cargo vessel, one of two ordered at the time by W. Franch Fenwick & company.

She was 633 tons with a length overall of 175 feet and a beam of 28 feet and 6 inches with a draft of 17 feet.

She was launched from the yard on 17th October 1936

Monday, 12 April 2010


Ship No 235

An order from Captain A.F. Watchlin of Wellington, New Zealand for a modern twin screw Motor Cargo Vessel.
She was 1524 tons and with a length overall of 235 feet with a beam of 40 feet and a draft of 15 feet and 6 inches.
She was launched from the yard of Henry Robb on 11th November 1936

(Built in 1935, the “Port Tauranga” with her hatch opening of 96 feet. proved very valuable for the transport of long piles needed for naval construction work in the Dominion. “From Leith built ships on war service”)
"Port Tauranga" Ship No 235

Some more History of “Port Tauranga”

1,529 tons. Lb: 74.0 x 13.7 metres. Built in 1937 by Henry Robb, Scotland as Port Tauranga owned by Capt A F Watchlin, Auckland. In December 1947 Union Company acquired the remaining interest in the shipping company owned by Watchlin.One of these, Port Tauranga, was the specialist timber carrier specialising in the transport of Australian hardwood power poles and wharf piles to New Zealand. At the time her 30 metre long hatch was the longest recorded by Lloyds Register. Union Company renamed her Kopua although their original intention was to name her Kama. Instead, in 1948 renamed Kopua, 1960 sold to Hethking Steamships, Sydney, renamed Cobargo. Sold to Samoan owners (United SS) and renamed Samoan Bay in 1973. Sold to Fui-Yong Wood and renamed Universal Dallas in 1974. Recorded as 'broken up" 1977 or 1986.


Ship No 234

Was an order from Newcastle & Hunter River Steamship Company of N.S.W. Australia.

The order was for a single screw Motor Steamer of 1262 tons, with an overall length of 220 feet and a beam of 30 feet.

She had a draft of 24 feet, and she was launched from the Robb Victoria yard on 27th February 1937.

Ship No 234 "Mulubinba"

Monday, 5 April 2010

Ship No 230 to 233

The following numbers were allocated to an order from Priestman Bros Ltd for 2 Pontoons and 2 Barges.

Ship No 230 was for a Pontoon of 31 tons with a length overall of 38 feet with beam of 18 feet 6 inches.

Ship No 231 was for a Barge of 85 tons with a length overall of 85 feet and a beam of 21 feet.

Ship No 232 was for a sister Barge of the same size.

Ship No 233 was for another Pontoon of 20 tons that had a length overall of 33 feet and a beam of 18 feet.


Ship No 229

Was an order for a Steam Hopper ordered by Tilbury Contracting & Dredging Co. She was 796 tons with a length overall of 178 feet and a beam of 34 feet, with a draught of 17 feet 6 inches.
Powered by a 3cylinder Triple Expansion Engine, 15.5"x26"x42" 30" stroke 200psi steam engine by C. D. Holmes, Hull. ON164719.
She was launched from the yard 20th August 1936.

She, like so many other small vessels played her part in service to her country during World War II.
In 1940, She was called upon to help the evacuation of the remains of the British Army from the beaches at Dunkirk, where she transported 123 troops home from Dunkirk during the evacuation. Later sold to Port of London Authority and converted to Grab Dredger.
07-10-1971 Sank in Furness Basin, River Tees after settling on submerged object.
She was salved but her further history is not known at this time.

General info on Dredging.
A hopper barge worked in conjunction with dredgers. The dredger would remove spoil from the sea bed and dump it via chutes into the hold of the hopper. When full the hopper would proceed to sea where it would dump its load. In the bottom of the hopper barge where a series of doors built into the bottom hull,which were opened to allow the mud to fall out. This mud was obviously replaced by sea water which flooded in. This was not pumped out, the doors being closed and the hopper proceeding back to the dredger. When the next load of spoil, was placed in the hopper the sea water simply overflowed onto the deck and back into the sea.

Saturday, 3 April 2010


Ship No 228

 Was an order for a Grab Hopper Dredger ordered by Whitby Urban District Council.

She was 125 tons with an overall length of 95 feet and a beam of 25 feet.

She was launched from the Leith yard of Henry Robb on 17th September 1936.

"Esk" Ship No 228


Ship No227

Was the forth in the order of a 4 ship order for Coast Line’s Shipping Company.

She was a twin screw Motor Cargo vessel, designed and built for the trade routes around the British Isles and other short sea route trading. They were the most modern of design for the time, and were to establish a new standard of efficiency and economy. The Coast line vessels were to be called up early to serve in the coming World War 2 (you can read more of their exploits in the page about Leith Built Ships on War Service)

She was the smallest of the four ship order at some 40 feet shorter than her three previous sister ship’s “British Coast” and “Atlantic Coast” and “Ocean Coast” at 625 tons with a length overall of 190 feet and a beam of 34 feet.

She was to have a some what short but eventful war service, and was eventually lost to enemy action in Norway (full story at the page about Leith Built Ships on War Service on this blog)

She was launched from the yards on 18th June 1936.


Ship No 226

Was an order for a large single screw tug from Comp.De Remarquage & De Salivatage. She was 402 tons with a length overall of 125 feet and a beam of 32 feet.

She was launched from the Victoria Yards of Henry Robb Shipbuilders on 7th April 1936.


Ship No 225

Was a single screw motor tug ordered by Blackfriars Lighterage, she was 77 tons with a length overall of 75 feet and a beam of 19 feet.

She was built for work on the River Thames, and was called into service during the war from 1939 to 1945.

She worked tirelessly through the blitz on London during 1940, moving shipping and barges away from attack by enemy bombers.

She was then later transferred to the Firth of Clyde to continue with her work, and there gained a reputation of being a speedy little craft.

Ship No 224

Another Grab Hopper Dredger ordered by Priestman Bros Ltd, at 64 tons and length overall of 65 feet with beam of 21 feet.

Ship No 223

Another order from Priestman Bros Ltd this time for a 28 ton pontoon with a length overall of 36 feet and beam of 18 feet and 6 inches.


Ship No 222

Was an order from General Lighterage Co, for a Motor Tug, of 50 tons with a length overall of 65 feet and beam of 16 feet and 6 inches.
GENERAL IV -Renamed Sarah Burn

Some history of General IV

50 GRT, (65'x16'6"x6'6"(8'6")

Machinery: 1 scr, diesel 6cyl Polar Atlas type M36I (nr 213), 390bhp-291kW@ 300rpm

1936: Built by "Henry Robb" at Leith (YN 222)

1936: delivered to "General Lighterage Co Ltd" at London

1942 -24/09: on Admiralty service (mng W France Fenwick & Co, so perhaps in North East)

1942 -46/12: on Admiralty service in West Africa

1947: returned to owners

1963: taken over by "Thames & General Lighterage Co Ltd" at London

1970: To "Electro Marine Engineering Co Ltd" (operating name "Gravesend Towing Services")

19xx: To "Millwall Lighterage" at London

1980: To "A.E. White & Sons Ltd" at London, renamed CHALKY WHITE

1983: To "Penfold" at Erith, renamed SARAH BURN

1987: To "Able Towing and Marine Services" at Rochester

1989: To "Argyle Charters" at Campbeltown

1990: Re-renamed back to GENERAL IV

1994: To Frank Warling (used as a private vessel)

1994: Caught by customs for drugs smuggling, seized and laid up at Campbeltown

199x: To "Oates family"

2001: Delisted as a tug

2003: To Simon Sawers on the Firth of Clyde, under restoration

2004: Filled up and sank in Bowling harbour

Ship No 221

Was an un-named Grab Hopper Dredger ordered by Priestman Brothers Ltd.

At 78 tons with a length overall of 80 feet with a beam of 23 feet.